This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

He doesn’t text back. He semi-ignores you when you see him out. He never texts you first. What did you do wrong? Nothing.

As women, we’ll make any excuse in the book for a guy we like.  “Oh, he was busy. He’s got a super heavy course load this term.” “His mom was in town!” “ He’s just really bad with his phone.” “He probably just didn’t see me.” Any of these sound familiar?

Yes, on very rare occasions these excuses can be true, most of the time they aren’t. Instead of making excuses for him, why not help yourself move on by just realizing he’s not that into you, and there’s nothing wrong with that. Just because a guy doesn’t like you the way you like him it doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with you. Instead, it allows for you to meet someone else better suited for you. To help you move forward, I’m going to debunk all your excuses for him.

“But he tells me I’m really pretty and calls me every Friday and Saturday night at 12:30 am! He has to like me!”

You are a booty call. We’ve all been there and I am sorry, but he is using you. If he’s not making time for you during the week and only proceeds to ever call you at night and on the weekends, he only wants one thing from you. I don’t care if you guys have an immense connection, he likes to cuddle in the morning, or you two could stay up and talk all night, you are still a booty call. Instead of putting yourself through these mixed emotions, ignore his calls this weekend and use that time to meet someone new and exciting who wants to hang out on a random Tuesday and meet for coffee before class as well as on the weekends.

“He’s just really bad with his phone. He told me he loses it all the time.”

Does he really lose it all the time? Or is he just not responding to you when he’s with another girl? Chances are it’s the latter. Our generation is highly dependent on technology and always being connected. Unless you’ve actually seen him loose his phone on multiple occasions, he’s most likely just ignoring your texts and calls. Find someone who wants to make you a priority and stop wasting your time texting someone who doesn’t deserve your attention.

He’s always really busy during the week. He’s taking, like, 18 credits.”

Eighteen credits huh? That’s a lot. But’s that’s not so much that its impossible for him to text you once or twice in the week to see how your day was. When a guy wants to, he will make time for you. Stop making the excuse for him not getting in touch with you at least once or twice a week and spend you time doing something more useful.

“Well, I have to text him first always because he’s just not a huge texter”

He doesn’t forget to text you. He’s just not texting you. There is absolutely nothing wrong with texting a guy first, but only if around 50 percent of the time he’s texting you first as well. It’s the 21st century, you can call and text a guy first all you want, but if that’s the only way the two of you ever getting in contact, then there’s a reason for that. If a guy is never contacting you first, it may just mean that he’s not that into trying to talk to you. Stop calling and texting him and instead get back into contact with a friend you’ve lost touch with.

“He gets too drunk and just forgets to call.”

If he is actually getting so drunk that he forgets to call you on a regular basis you shouldn’t be waiting around for him anyways. Yes, it’s college and sometimes people drink too much and make stupid mistakes, but that shouldn’t be a regular excuse you have to make or him. Find someone who wants to make you more of a priority rather than a bottle of tequila.

Boys will be boys and sometimes you will have to take the lead, but if you are always making excuses for him and rationalizing his actions, you’re better off without him. Just because a guy doesn’t like you doesn’t mean you’ve done anything wrong, it just means you have a chance to meet someone who will like you more than you could ever imagine. And remember, there is nothing wrong with him just not being that into you. 

Maggie is a senior at the University of Oregon pursuing a degree in Public Relations and Communications through the School of Journalism. She enjoys hanging out with her friends, laying by the pool or on the beach, and traveling. Her favorite city in the world is Paris and she hopes to go back after graduation. Follow her on twitter at @mahilty
The official Her Campus Oregon account