Memorial Day is just around the corner and most of us are more than thrilled to have a day off of school to completely relax. This holiday marks not only the patriotic bravery in our country, but it is also a time to celebrate the approaching end of the school year. The weather is getting warmer and we all know what that means: BBQ time! But with all the hot dogs and beer over Memorial Day weekend, it’s easy for us to get distracted from our summer body diet. So instead of loading up on fatty potato salad and chips, try these low calorie recipes to insure a yummy and guilt-free BBQ!
Red Chicken Kabobs
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tbsp light Italian or balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
- 1 red pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 red potato
- Cube chicken breasts and combine with salad dressing in bowl to marinate for about an hour.
- Slice onion, pepper, and potato into square shapes.
- After chicken is done marinating, alternate it on a skewer with peppers and onions.
- Place on grill and cook thoroughly.
Lady Like Lime Cocktail
- 1 part Skinnygirl™ White Cherry Vodka
- 3 parts sparkling water
- 2 squirts of fresh lime juice
- Splash cherry juice
- Pour vodka, cherry juice and sparkling water over ice and stir.
- Squirt with lime.
- Garnish with a cherry and a lime wheel.
Freedom Fruit Salad
- 1 (29 ounce) can peach slices, undrained
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, undrained
- 1 (3 1/8 ounce) box dry vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 lb strawberry, stemmed and quartered
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1/2 pint blueberries
- 1 bunch grapes (I use the red ones)
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine peaches, pineapples, and vanilla pudding mix. (This includes the juices from the cans.)
- Mix well until pudding is dissolved.
- Stir in strawberries, banana, blueberries, grapes, and sugar if desired
Patriotic Pasta Salad
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 ounces uncooked large elbow macaroni
- 2/3 cup fresh green peas
- 2/3 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 2/3 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 3 lower-sodium bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- To prepare dressing, combine first 9 ingredients in a food processor, and process until smooth. Cover and chill.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat;
- Add peas during the last 3 minutes of cooking time.
- Drain; rinse with cold water. Drain.
- Combine pasta mixture, bell pepper, and next 4 ingredients (through rind) in a large bowl.
- Toss pasta mixture with half of dressing.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Toss salad with remaining dressing, and sprinkle with crumbled bacon; serve immediately.