Healthy Alternatives to Your Post-Workout Cravings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Whew! You just completed a tough workout at the gym, and already you are envisioning that piece of fudge cake that your roommate left in the fridge. All that hard work deserves a delicious reward right?! Think again. The problem is, that one bite leads to another, and another, and then another (you get the idea). So, what is a girl to do? Well, first let’s start with the type of craving. Whether it is salty, sweet, creamy, or crunchy, there are plenty of HEALTHY alternatives. Don’t get me wrong, an indulgence every once in awhile is fine, but make sure to not keep it a habit.

If you are craving something salty/crunchy:

Try kale chips! Kale is packed with vitamin A and contains no unhealthy saturated or trans fats, which is contained in potato chips. Also, many unhealthy snacks contain more than 300 calories per serving, but one batch of homemade kale contains only about 150 calories per serving. They are very easy to make, all you have to do is toss chopped kale with a bit of olive oil and bake them in the oven until crisp. Another easy alternative, is to dip baby carrots in salsa. I like to do this when I want something spicy and crunchy. 

If you are craving something sweet:

Cookies, candy, ice-cream, cake–you name it, I’ll probably want it. In order to beat my sweet tooth, I like to freeze banana slices and dip them in dark chocolate for a cold treat. I also like to make smoothies with frozen berries and Greek yogurt for a high-protein, nutritious drink. You can also microwave oatmeal with skim milk and mini chocolate chips for that cake like effect.

If you are craving something cheesy:

Macaroni and cheese is the ultimate comfort food, but will not make you feel very comfortable in your favorite jeans. Try whole grain crackers with mozzarella string cheese for a healthy snack. You can also take a whole wheat English muffin and toast it in a microwave oven for a healthy pizza alternative. Spread a teaspoon of marinara sauce on each side with shredded mozzarella cheese and your favorite veggies on top. 

If you are craving something cold and fizzy:

There is nothing nutritious about a soda or energy drink. Even if it is diet, these drinks are packed with sugar and artificial sweeteners. Instead, fill your water bottle with water and let your favorite fruit or vegetable sit inside for a few hours. Flavored seltzer water is also a great alternative that comes in many refreshing flavors.

So, the next time you start to reach for something that is less than nutritious, think about what your body needs to re-fuel and recover instead of what it craves!

Elizabeth is a full time advertising student at the University of Oregon, where she manages her time between school, work, running, blogging and having somewhat of a social life. As a native Oregonian, she cannot wait to move to L.A. when she graduates and somehow find a job that makes enough money to live there. Until then, you can find her exploring running trails by day and wearing her stilettos by night. Her current obsessions are giving back to the community through various volunteer projects and on a less important note, bedazzling everything in sight. You can follow her on Twitter @LizzieBayer!
The official Her Campus Oregon account