This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

For 20 years, I had strategically decided never to watch the Harry Potter movies, for I had no interest and didn’t read the books when I was younger. But then, probably around May, I put my brother through the pain of watching me watch all eight Harry Potter films. And, wow, I missed out on a completely different side of the world. So today, I am going to be ranking these films from worst to best. Please know that these are my personal opinions. All eight films were excellent in their own way!

Here we go:

8. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. This is the second film in the series, and I felt while the plot and character development was good. The film was too slow for my liking and didn’t make me excited to continue the series. 

7. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer Stone. The very first film sets the tone of the magical life of young Harry. I enjoyed this storyline, and I loved seeing the kids excited to be at Hogwarts. However, the film again is too slow for me, therefore earning a rank at seven. 

6. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1. If you have seen these films, you will know that this entire film is a set up for the protagonist and antagonist’s final battle. But, being that the film was all exposition, the second to last film in the series is six. 

5. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Being the sixth movie in the series puts the viewer in the center in the middle of the action. We see Harry face his fears to help out, also learning something about his past that changes his future forever. This was such an incredible film, but I had to be very selective in these rankings as we get into the last few films. 

4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. The finale of all finales, this film was the most technologically advanced. The acting, storyline, and digital effects of this one were incredible. While I wasn’t too happy with how it ended, this film was beautiful to watch. 

3. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. The fifth movie was just so fun to watch. By this one, I was hooked on Hogwarts; I loved all the characters, new and old. It was just such a good watch. 

2. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Okay, I know how these movies’ exposition is super boring to me in these films, but there was such an excellent reward to all the boring parts. The third film got me excited about the series, unlike the first two. 

1. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Two words: Cedric Diggory! This film had everything, action, adventure, love, and friendship. The fourth film is 100 percent the best one. 

Overall, these films have fed generations on generations to believe in magic and the power of friendship. I’m so glad I watched these films, and now I can finally understand the memes my friends send me.

Hi! I'm Skylar and I am so excited to be writing for Her Campus-Oregon. Born and raised in Los Angeles, I have been immersed in everything from television productions to Tik Toker invading my neighborhood. In my free time when I am not hanging with friends, I love to watch movies, TV and stand up comedies. You can find me Instagram @skysteinman!! xoxo
The official Her Campus Oregon account