Guys Tell Us: Which Looks Do They Love?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Ever since I was a little girl, I always wondered what guys really notice about a girl (other than the
obvious “female anatomy”). I know, I’m not the only one that spends double the time getting ready
when I know I might “bump into” that cute guy from Chemistry. But then I started to wonder…do guys really notice that you took that extra time getting ready? And even if they do, do they even care? So I decided to solve this man mystery once and for all. I asked a bunch of guys their opinions on the three degrees of makeup (shown above) and had them pick which they liked the best. The verdicts are in and they just might surprise you!

Look #1: Heavy Make-up
Overall, guys had mixed reactions on this look. They said it could be ok for a night out or a special
occasion. Of course celebs can pull it off but most college girls aren’t going to the Grammy’s during their off time. In class, during the day or even a first date, they said it would be too much. “If a girl wears tons of make-up she looks like she’s trying too hard or that she’s trying to hide something,” said one of the guys. “It also looks like she would be really shallow and high maintenance, which isn’t a turn on for a guy.”

Look #2: Medium Make-up
This look definitely got the most attention from guys. I could tell their eyes went directly for it and
stared at it longer than the other pictures. There was a general agreement that this look would be great for anything from going to class to a nice dinner. “I like that I can see her features and it makes her not look too serious,” said another guy. “I also like that she looks like she’s a little tan, like she
hangs out at the beach or is active outside.”

Look #3: Light Make-Up
When the first reaction I got was “Wait, who is that?,” I knew guys had no idea what celebrities really
look like (it’s Taylor Swift guys, come on!). I did a little research and actually Taylor is wearing a bit of
make-up but it is all very blended. “She still looks pretty, just kinda tired or like she’s about to go to the gym.” So what would a guy think if he saw you like this? “I mean, I would still think she is naturally pretty but maybe she just doesn’t like to try or she doesn’t care how she looks, which is good and bad.”

And the winner is…..LOOK # 2!!!!

Not only do guys agree this look is good for all girls but it’s the right amount to make you look your
best without distracting from your natural beauty. Making your face glow is the key. Natural bronzers, blushes and light shimmers were a favorite of all the guys that were asked. They also liked how her eye make-up wasn’t too heavy and still looked relatively natural. It was almost unnanamous that guys would approach a girl with this look over the other two shown. So save your 30 minute mascara application and heavy smoky eyes for a night with the girls because the guys agree, sometimes less is more!

PS: Another thing I have to mention is that one of the most noted things about these photos was
that Look #2 was the only one smiling! That was one of the first things they noticed and pointed out to
me that she looked happy and like she was having fun. Apparently one of the best things a girl can do is just smile. Not only are guys more likely to approach a girl that looks happy but they are more likely to ask you out because they think you’re a girl who likes to have fun! So grab your best friends that make you laugh and hit the town, you’ll be sure to have that look guys love!

– –

Sarah Felix is a senior at the University of Oregon, graduating in June. She is a double major in Psychology and Sociology and a minor in Communications. She also has received her Oregon Esthetician’s License and currently in the process of obtaining her Oregon Medical Esthetician’s License. She loves fashion, beauty and anything that makes her laugh. She’s a permanent Duck fan that “Lives GREEN and yells O!”

Serena Piper will always be a Southern belle at heart, but for now she is a Senior Magazine Journalism student at the University of Oregon. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic. She wouldn't mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert's in Eat, Pray, Love. To find out what Serena is up to, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter