This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

There’s something so uplifting about leaving your hometown for a brand new environment and thank you college for that experience. I grew up in a small, particularly conservative town. Being a mixed Asian-American girl in a predominantly white town, left me having so many questions about my culture, my history, and just having others to relate to and look up to. 

I started my educational journey going to a private Christian school up until the third grade. In my class, I was one of three other ethnic kids where we were definitely sheltered about the world, other views, and taught to closely follow the bible. When I was in the third grade, due to some medical issues in my family, we moved to the Philippines for about a year. I got to be around my family, experience going to school, a new routine, and a new culture. But it still wasn’t perfect. In the Philippines, it is ideal for you to marry a white foreigner and heir a young mixed child. They pretty much treat you like a celebrity just because your nose is shaped differently than theirs. 

Coming back to the U.S. and enrolling in a public school for the first time definitely had its’ implications. The culture shock was unbelievable. I was too shy and quiet to ever speak my mind and go against the status quo. It wasn’t until high school and thanks to my student government advisor that really helped bring me out of my shell. By that age, we began to learn more about government and policies. It was clear to see where about 90% of my high school stood on social issues, while 10% of us tried not to speak up and start heated debates. Teachers in our history classes taught with biases and our curriculum never really shed light on our own American historical atrocities and hypocrisies. I remember distinctly when the Parkland shooting happened and schools around the country were hosting walkouts in support of the victims, survivors, and protest for gun control, our administration blatantly told us that if we participated, we would be suspended. Instead, we just held a 17-minute assembly in silence, like it was a good thought but that wasn’t the point and it was obvious that they did not want us speaking out against gun violence. 

Through coronavirus and the upcoming election, there seemed to be so much more hate-filled in the town. During a small peaceful black lives matter protest, two blocks were filled with people without masks, with large rifles, Trump flags, yelling nasty racist slurs, and starting fights. I always knew that my views were different than those I grew up around, but what I didn’t know was how much seeing it all bothered me. If our society was more open-minded towards those that were different or new ideas, maybe then simple issues that could be summarized as human rights, wouldn’t be politically polarized. I’m not trying to get down on anyone for their political views or beliefs, but just know that the way in which you present those ideas and who you support says a lot about your personality. 

Hi there! I'm Geralline, or some people call me Ger for short. I am a junior at the University of Oregon studying public relations. I love all things vintage-inspired, plants, beauty, and any excuse for grabbing a coffee with a friend. I currently work at a local coffee shop in my hometown and have been obsessed with experimenting with new drinks. I am so excited to be a part of such an empowering community of women!
The official Her Campus Oregon account