Style > Beauty

Function of Beauty Shampoo & Conditioner Review: An Update

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

For almost a year now I’ve been using Function of Beauty shampoo and conditioner. After seeing it in an Emma Chamberlain YouTube video I had decided I really wanted to be able to customize my hair care. So, I did. I wrote a review on my results back in September, and this is an update to that review. 

At first my hair felt softer, shinier, and smelled so good. I really did think that my hair was benefitting from the custom ingredients. It wasn’t until recently that I began to question whether that was true or not. I began seeing articles and TikTok videos of people who have been using Function of Beauty saying that it was causing hair loss. At first I didn’t really think much of it because I know that everyone’s hair is different and reacts differently. For me, my hair still looked shiny and felt soft and so I figured I was still using the right stuff for my hair. Then, I went to my hairdresser and got a haircut. After washing my hair, he noted to me that I had an excessive amount of shedding. He said that it seemed to be an abnormal amount and asked me what I had changed in my hair care. I told him that I hadn’t changed anything and that it was probably just stress and that’s what I ended up telling myself for the next few weeks. It wasn’t until I was once again on TikTok, seeing another video, that it dawned on me that I started really having significant shedding in the shower after I started using Function of Beauty. It was such a sudden and profound realization that I actually immediately went up to my shower and threw it all out. I was, and am, so sure that the shampoo and conditioner is what was causing me to have more than normal hair loss. 

Since then, I have been using a shea butter shampoo and conditioner from the brand SheaMoisture. I’ve already seen a reduction in the amount of hair I lose after I shower or when I brush my hair. Also, it smells better. I jumped on the Function of Beauty bandwagon because of its cute packaging, customization, and advertising. I’m not sure what it has in it that is causing people to lose hair but I have seen a significant enough number of videos and articles about it that it does seem to be an issue. Hopefully, Function of Beauty will just identify what the issue is and aim to fix it. Another point is that this isn’t happening to everyone who uses their products. Some people really do love it and are happy with their results! It could totally work for you, and not work for me. It might be a certain hair type, or an ingredient in a specific scent or color. Who knows. But, I hope Function of Beauty does decide to address the issue head-on because they truly do have a wonderful goal.   

The official Her Campus Oregon account