This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

In case nobody has told you, take a moment for yourself. In the midst of school, work, and other responsibilities, there seems to hardly be time for yourself in there. And to have the stress of a week-long election process, not to mention the general anxiety of living in a global pandemic, there’s a lot on our plates at the moment. I know that this past week has me feeling much more overwhelmed and anxious than normal. Here’s a couple of much-needed reminders that have served me in finding peace during a chaotic time.

You Don’t Always Need to Hustle:

Hustle culture has us thinking that taking a day off makes us “lazy” or “unproductive.” On the contrary rest and reflection are vital for our bodies and can help us continue to be productive. We live in a society that teaches us that hard work is the only way to accomplish our dreams. There is an emphasis on always working and taking “self-care” time is often mocked. And yet, how can we accomplish anything, if we abandon our mental and physical wellbeing. Never feel guilty for needing a day off and practicing self-care, whatever that may look like for you.

Self-Care Isn’t Only Doing Yoga

There are so many ways to practice self-care. Maybe it looks like watching a movie or baking brownies or journaling your thoughts or practicing an instrument you haven’t picked up in years. Maybe it’s taking a few minutes every day to meditate. Find what makes you feel best and leaves you with inner peace, and choose that.  

Make A List

If you’re anything like me, lists make you feel a million times better. Somedays when I feel overwhelmed, and I write a list of what I need to accomplish, I instantly feel relieved seeing how little I actually need to get done in that day. But I also make other lists; some reflecting what I’m thankful for, or what I love about my life. These lists help me visualize the good, even during a time in the world where there is so much negativity. Remember what brings you peace and happiness!

Alanna Uding

Oregon '22

Hi I'm Alanna! I'm from Portland Oregon and I'm currently a senior at University of Oregon with a major in Education and a minor in English. I love going on hikes, runs, trying new coffee shops and in my free time, writing. I'm excited to contribute to a creative space focused on empowering women!
The official Her Campus Oregon account