Wellness

Do’s and Don’ts on How to Avoid Seasonal Depression in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Depression is something that is very common among people, especially college students. Being away from home and isolated in a dorm can feel lonely, but is especially hard during the winter season if you attend a school that has cold weather. For me, living in Oregon is hard at times, because not only does it get darker earlier, but it reaches a low of 35 degrees or so. This has caused my mood to fluctuate and for seasonal depression to take over. Last year when I was a freshman, I felt extremely lonely, especially since I didn’t have a lot of friends and was constantly sitting in my dorm room. I thought it would be helpful to give some tips on what and what not to do in order to avoid seasonal depression and make the most of your winter term! 

1. DON’T stay in your dorm room and watch Netflix 24/7. Although it can be nice to be by yourself sometimes, constantly shutting yourself in your room and laying in bed will make you feel lonely and non-productive. 

2. DO surround yourself with people. Go to a cute cafe or lounge area, either with a friend or even by yourself, and do homework or simply just relax. Even if you aren’t getting work done, surrounding yourself with people will help you feel less lonely and will keep your mind off of the weather. 

3. DON’T sit in the dark for too long. If you’re like me, and your room doesn’t have a window in it, it’s easy to lay in the dark for a long period of time. However, darkness can trigger depressing thoughts and feelings of loneliness. Try to go into a natural lit area or keep your lights on so your brain will think positive thoughts. 

4. DO stay active/exercise. A huge issue with me is that once it gets cold out, I feel lazier and less motivated to work out. However, working out, even if it’s inside, can have a really positive effect on the brain and your overall mood. Even if it’s just for 20 minutes a day, doing something active can help you feel accomplished. Plus, a healthy body leads to a healthy mind!  

5. DON’T forget to communicate with people back home. If you don’t have a lot of people you can talk to or feel comfortable talking to about how you’re feeling, talking to a familiar voice can help a lot. Whether it’s your sibling, parent, relative, or any other person you consider family, speaking to a loved one can help you feel less lonely and can help you let out how you’re truly feeling. 

I'm a Journalism Major at the University of Oregon who loves to write, take photos, and do anything that allows me to be creative!
The official Her Campus Oregon account