DIY: “Stained Glass” Candleholder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Candles are wonderful. They make your room smell nice and help you relax after a long day of classes, work, and other activities. If you’re a candle addict like me, you probably have a ton of glass jars from completely burned candles.  I don’t want to throw them away, but what can I do with them? Reuse them of course! Here’s a simple and cheap way to transform an old glass jar into a “stained glass” candleholder that will surely brighten up your room.

What you need:

• Tissue Paper
  • Glass jar (in any shape or size)
  • Mod Podge (any finish)
  • Paint Brush
  • Candle

Steps:

1. First decide what you want to be on your jar. Personally I choose to fold up my tissue paper and punch out circles with a hold puncher. I would suggest using a paper punch of some sort because it would be a real pain to cut out all those shapes. However, you could also just tear pieces of tissue paper and artistically collage them on the jar.

2. Once you have all your pieces, organize them into piles and figure out how you would like to place them.

3. Now, take your Mod Podge and squeeze some out onto a plate.

4. Take your paintbrush and apply a thin later of Mod Podge onto the surface of your jar.

5. Carefully place your shapes onto the jar. I found it easiest to just use my fingertip to place each circle.

6. Once you’ve covered your jar, apply another thin layer of Mod Podge to seal in the design. Don’t worry; the Mod Podge will dry clear.  Helpful Tip: Make sure the paint on the Mod Podge in a consistent pattern because the brush strokes may show after it dries.

7. You’re done! Place a candle in the jar and enjoy the simulated stained glass effect you’ve created.

The official Her Campus Oregon account