This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Everyone loves dessert, and a homemade sweet or pastry is the perfect way to tell that special someone in your life how much you care. Having a “Dessert Date” is a perfect date night idea. Not only will they be impressed by your baking skills, but they will love that you took the time to make it for them. Dessert dates are relatively cheap, quick & easy, and very romantic. If chocolate doesn’t say “I Love You,”  I don’t know what does. These foolproof delicious sweets will be the perfect start to a romantic night. Here are three date night dessert ideas for every baking level.

Chocolate Covered Strawberries

Level: Easy

Time: 10 minutes

This recipe is for every collegiette. With just a few ingredients and minimal effort, Chocolate covered strawberries are perfect date night dessert. Even for the girl that is scared of the kitchen, this easy recipe is a must! Original Recipe from Martha Stewart.

Ingredients

• 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 pound large strawberries (about 20), washed and dried well

Directions

1. Place chocolate in a heat-safe bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water. Stir occasionally, until melted, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
  2. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. One at a time, dip each strawberry in chocolate, twirling to coat.
  3. Chill chocolate-dipped strawberries at least 15 minutes to set chocolate. (Strawberries should not be stored in refrigerator longer than 1 hour as condensation drops may collect on the chocolate.)

Chocolate Cheesecake

Level: Medium

Time: 1 hour

Decadent cheesecake is a rich and luscious dessert that will have any boy swooning over you. Don’t be scared of the task of making a cheesecake. This recipe has minimal ingredients and after being chilled will have your date asking for more. Recipe from AllRecipes.com.

Ingridients:

• 24 OREO Cookies, crushed
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
  • 4 (8 ounce) packages cream chese, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 (8 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate, melted
  • 4 eggs

Directions:

• 1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
  • 2. Mix crumbs and butter; press onto bottom of 13×9-pan lined with foil. Bake 10 min.
  • 3. Beat cream cheese, sugar, flour and vanilla with mixer until blended. Add chocolate; mix well.
  • 4. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing on low after each just until blended. Pour over crust.
  • 5. Bake 45 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool. Refrigerate 4 hours. Use foil to lift cheesecake from pan. Top with berries.

Banana Blondies

Level: Hard

Time: 1 ½ hours

This updated brownie recipe is perfect for those who do not have an obsession with chocolate but prefer other sweets. Although ranked most difficult, these decadent brownies are relatively easy if you have an hour or two. These yummy Banana blondies have a caramel flavoring with a chocolate crust that makes them extra special. Recipe From The New York Times (Photo Credit: Andrew Scrivani for The New York Times)

Ingridients:

• 2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (1 1/4 cups), more for greasing pan
  • 200 grams chocolate wafer cookies (to make about 3 cups crumbs)
  • 55 grams light brown sugar (about 1/4 cup)
  • 3 grams fine sea salt (about 1/2 teaspoon), plus a pinch
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 2 large eggs
  • 455 grams dark brown sugar (about 2 1/2 cups)
  • 2 tablespoons dark rum or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 130 grams all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
  • 80 grams toasted walnuts, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
  • Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling (optional)

Directions:

• Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with parchment, and grease with butter.
  • Melt 1 stick of butter in a saucepan over low heat or in microwave. Put the chocolate wafer cookies in the bowl of a food processor and process to make fine crumbs. Add the light brown sugar, melted butter and a pinch of salt. Process until the mixture is the consistency of damp sand. Dump the mixture into the pan and press it into an even layer. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes, or until the surface is firm. Remove the pan and set aside.
  • Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
  • In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 12 tablespoons butter, then let it cook until the foam subsides and butter turns a deep nut brown, about 5 minutes. Cool.
  • In a large bowl, whisk together bananas, eggs, dark brown sugar and rum. Whisk in brown butter. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour and fine salt. Fold into batter along with the toasted walnuts. Pour the mixture over the prepared crust and spread evenly. Sprinkle top with flaky salt if using.
  • Transfer pan to oven and bake until the top is firm and a toothpick inserted in the center emerges with a few crumbs attached (or clean) but not wet, 45 to 55 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack; cut into 24 bars.

What’s your favorite date night dessert recipe?

Rachel is a Junior at the University of Oregon studying Journalism, Advertising, and English. She is on the writing team for HCO. She aspires to become an editor of a fashion magazine, a food writer, or creative strategist at an advertising firm. Rachel has always loved the freedom of writing and loves all things creative, makeup, fashion, food and Art History. When not studying for school, she enjoys the beach, traveling, dancing, and eating Nutella.
The official Her Campus Oregon account