Campus Cutie: Samantha Giacalone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Name: Samantha Giacalone

Major: General Social Science

Hometown: San Diego, CA

Grade: Junior

This SoCal native loves California burritos, the beach, and swimming in the waves. Here in Oregon she spends her time hiking, trying on lipstick and “chilling with her homies.” Meet Samantha!

What’s your most embarrassing moment?

In 8th grade, before my dance performance, I was running down a hill at lunch and I completely fell in front of everyone. I scratched my entire face, stomach, legs and I lost my front teeth. Also, my PE teacher had to carry me to the front office. Also, all of the dentist offices were closed so I had to go to a “junior” dentist. It was traumatizing to say the least. But my teeth look great! *laughs* In the end, I had to perform with half of my body covered in scratches. I persevered though.

What made you want to come to UO?

I knew that I didn’t want to go to school in California, so I applied to all out-of-state schools. I actually got waitlisted here, but when I visited here I loved it so much – I kind of just set my mind on it. It was so stressful that I might not get in. But here I am and I love it!

Who is your celebrity crush?

Seth Rogan and Jason Segal. They’re both a little chunky and I love chunky boys. They’re also just super funny and so am I, so it just makes sense.

What’s your spirit animal?

A walrus because I’m kind of awkward.

What’s your favorite thing about Fall term?

I love that the leaves change colors here! In San Diego, everything looks the same all year round so I love watching the trees change!

What do you miss most about home?

I miss my dad’s cooking so much! I love Italian food and he owns an Italian restaurant and it’s the finest cuisine this side of the Atlantic. I like the meatballs he makes the most!

University of Oregon student taking everything as inspiration.