Campus Celeb: Amanda Williams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Age: 21          

Year: Senior

Major: English          

Hometown: Stockton, CA

Claim to Fame: ASUO Professional Development Director, Career Center Counseling Intern

HCO: So you’re involved in the ASUO; what does your position entail?

My position (Professional Development Director) is brand new to the ASUO and I have the creative freedom to mould this position however I see most beneficial to others. It’s pretty great because I’m focusing on what professionalism means on paper and in person. I’ll be going over résumés, cover letters, interviewing techniques, networking skills, and will also incorporate guest presentations. I’m actually giving a résumé presentation next week and I created my own PowerPoint complete with GIFs. I plan on it being informative as well as entertaining.

HCO: What’s your favorite part of  being an ASUO officer?

Probably meeting and talking with everyone about their professional pursuits. I love hearing about their future endeavors and their goals on getting there.

HCO: What else are you involved in on campus?

I work in the Career Center too! Last year I worked the reception desk but I wanted more behind-the-scenes work so I drafted a new position filled with tasks I was interested in and presented my plan to the Director. Luckily, he was as excited as I was so now I work as the Counseling Team Support Intern. It’s the best position to have because I learn all about professionalism and am given tasks no other student on campus has the pleasure of completing. It is a fun and rewarding job to say the least!

HCO: Any plans after graduation?

Well, I would hope so! Yes, I am applying to schools in California to work towards getting my teaching credential. I want to teach high school English.

HCO: That’s awesome! When did you know you wanted to be a teacher?

It wasn’t one of those things where I said, “yeah, teaching might be fun,” it was an internal knowledge that being a teacher was something that I was going to do. It’s hard to explain, but teaching for me was never a “maybe” thing. My dad told me that when I was 3, I taught myself how to read from Hooked on Phonics, and I was so fascinated by it, I tried to teach my brother how to read. He was 2.

HCO: What are you going to miss most about the University of Oregon?

The fall. Hands down. And my Career Center job…does that make me a nerd? Oh well.

HCO: Role model?

Anyone who actually gets a full night’s sleep. Is that even possible in college?