womens history month?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
womens history month?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

Black History Month: Books You Need to Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

One of my new year’s resolutions for 2021 was to read more, a pastime I once loved. As I’ve been attempting to read a book or two (outside of class!) every month this year, I’ve realized the importance of finding books that help educate and inspire me. As February is Black History month I’ve been actively looking to read books from black authors. As a non-black person, I feel that it’s important to seek out books written by black authors and books to educate the mind. I’ve realized that many of the recent books I’ve read have not had a diverse array of authors, and I hope to begin to change that. And not only during Black History month, but every month going forward. Here are a few books that are currently on my reading list this month, and will hopefully inspire you. 

Well-Read Black Girl by Glory Edim

This book is collection of beautiful essays written by black women. It celebrates a powerful array of black literature and black women authors, and explores black girlhood and womanhood. The author, Glory Edim started a book club she called Well-Read Black Girl, which has since turned into a large online community and went on to produce this anthology. 

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

Thomas wrote this book based off of a short story she had written in college about her feelings and initial reaction to a police shooting of a young black boy. The book follows a young black girl who witnesses the police kill her childhood best friend. She then becomes entagled in the national news story, as she speaks up about the shooting and police violence towards the black community. 

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Slacks

One of my personal favorites, this book is a non-fiction, detailing the racial and ethical implication of medicine and scientific progress. The book raises ethical questions when it comes to cell research while telling the story of Henrietta Slacks and her family.

The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison

A novel that is sure to stay with you and make you think in days to come, and is Toni Morrison’s first book. It tells the story of a young African American girl growing up in the great depression, and explores the racial tensions of this time through her young lens. 

Alanna Uding

Oregon '22

Hi I'm Alanna! I'm from Portland Oregon and I'm currently a senior at University of Oregon with a major in Education and a minor in English. I love going on hikes, runs, trying new coffee shops and in my free time, writing. I'm excited to contribute to a creative space focused on empowering women!