The Best Mexican Food In Eugene: Mi Tierra

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Anyone who even remotely knows me knows that it is not unusual for me to be wandering around with a burrito in my hand. Mexican food is all I ever want to be eating, and it is the only thing I am even remotely interested in learning how to cook. My mom’s side of the family is Mexican, so I have had no shortage of crazy delicious cuisine from south of the border. And when they weren’t around to feed my bottomless pit of a stomach, my hometown always had a bunch of restaurants that would satisfy my cravings. So when I came to school at UO, I was a little nervous that I was going to have to settle for Mexican food that was sub-par. I had heard a lot of things about Eugene, but not anything about an  abundance of authentic Mexican spots.

Enter Mi Tierra, or as I like to call it, the taqueria that changed my life.  

This locally owned Mexican restaurant is located on 638 Blair Street, and is family run. It isn’t fancy, and it isn’t big-it’s just all about authentic, good food. Their menu is made up of classic Mexican dishes, including my two biggest obsessions-enchiladas and taquitos. Their rice and and beans have to be my favorite though because they remind me exactly of my grandmother’s cooking. I can honestly tell you that I didn’t think anything would ever even come close to that. 

While I came to Mi Tierra for the food, it was the drink I had that really sent my meal into overdrive. Every time you go in, there is a different type of fresh and homemade juice-I’ve had mango, banana, watermelon, and more. These beverages are so unique, and I would insist that everyone who goes drinks one.

The restaurant itself has bright walls, simple seating, and some of the kindest staffs I have ever encountered. I always leave the ordering counter laughing, which is an accomplishment for me when I’m starving. 

Mi Tierra is a must for any Mexican food loving collegiette. This hole in the wall spot is nothing short of spectacular, and is a great place to suggest when you and your friends are sick of the dining around campus. 

The official Her Campus Oregon account