Being Single During The Holidays Is A Good Thing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

We’ve all been there…December 1st rolls around, and there is no one to kiss under the mistletoe, watch Christmas movies with, or cuddle under the Christmas tree with. For me, the disappointment lasted about a whole 2 minutes. I don’t know what it is about the holiday season that puts a pressure on young people to cling to boyfriends or girlfriends. But don’t give in! Bump those Christmas carols, get out that ugly sweater, and make yourself some hot chocolate. Instead of being sad, or wishing you had a significant other, make the decision to have the best Christmas ever.

Here is one thing to rejoice about: you are going to save so much money. Boyfriends and girlfriends are expensive, to say the least. And hard to shop for! I always stress out about what to get a guy for Christmas. A watch? A tent? Do all guys like tents? A comb? Wait; have I ever seen him use a comb? A t-shirt! Everyone wears t-shirts. But what kind of t-shirt? Stress NO MORE! Get your roommate something for putting up with your complaints about being single suring the holidays. Or take yourself out to that romantic comedy that your ex would not go see with you. Spend your paycheck on yourself, or your friends and family.

I chose to get my two best friends each 5 gifts. Those are gifts that I probably would not have been able to afford, had I had a boyfriend to shop for. I decided that if it weren’t for their constant support and love, the holidays would be hard to get through. Spend time with your girlfriends this season; after all, they are the ones who have been there through it all.

Reflect on the great relationships in your life. For me, those relationships are those within my family. It is easy to neglect our parents and siblings when we are wrapped up in a relationship. Get your mom something thoughtful, stop just buying her a cookbook because she is a good cook. Don’t let your parents buy your siblings presents and sign your name for you. Put thought into what will make them smile on Christmas morning. Spend time with these people! They love you, and now is a better time than ever to let them know how much you love them too.

That’s what the holidays are about: love. Feel the love around you, from your dad’s hugs, to your dog’s kisses, to the Christmas card your grandma wrote before she passed, to the pastor’s sermon on Christmas eve, to the family ringing a bell outside to feed the hungry. Love is everything, and it is all around you. We’re twentysomethings; we don’t need to be consumed by a relationship to understand and feel love. It is time to reflect on the relationships in your life that will be there for the long haul. There is no greater gift, than love. Give and receive love this Christmas.