Being a Good Friend Doesn’t Mean I Have to Go Along With Your Dumb Decisions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

I have no idea who told some of you that you could make absolutely stupid decisions and receive support for them from your best friends, just because they’re your best friends, but it is clear that this is an overall general theme I have been seeing lately. And I have had it. 

Some of you need a reality check. Period. You believe that the ultimate measure of friendship is testing limits, and not only is that absurd, it wreaks of entitlement.

No matter how long we have been friends, the amount of difficulties and hardships we have faced head on, together, I will not stand by you and allow you to make decisions that are disastrous and harmful to your life. I will not watch you ruin yourself and ruin others, and go along like a blind follower because you lack the ability to have common sense. Plain and simple. 

A good friend tells you when you are wrong. A good friend does not sit by and egg you on while you engage in pettiness. A good friend does not watch you make decisions that will not only ruin your future, but put you in danger, without raising an eyebrow and offering their advice that could potentially save you in the end. If you don’t want more for yourself, your friends should.

Say it’s “not my business”—that is perfectly fine. Then don’t involve me in your drama. Don’t open the door for me to walk through. While that sounds rather cut-and-dry, the most basic thing you can do to avoid having people in your business, and telling you what you do not want to hear, is to keep things to yourself. Because if you’re my friend, and I love you, I will always want the best for you. And I will not keep silent while you act stupid. 

I have made my share of really stupid decisions. I have had friends come to me and tell me what I don’t want to hear regarding those decisions. And to be honest, it is, to some degree, a little irritating to hear that I’m not being the best version of myself that my friends know I can be. But at the end of the day, the ultimate measure of friendship is being held accountable by the people who know you are so much better than the way you are acting.

It all boils down to tough love, quite frankly. I would go to the ends of the earth for all of my friends, but I will not give my unwavering support for decisions made out of utter stupidity and a lack of common sense. I will still love you, of course.

I can’t make anyone do anything. In the end, everything is your choice. But some of the choices people make, are stupid. And they cannot expect others to support them. If that makes someone a bad friend, prepare for a lifetime of losing people because you lack the ability to exercise good judgment. And if you want to make stupid decisions without the opinions of others, keep them to yourself. 

Hellooooooo everyone!  First of all, if you read anything I write, you are golden, and I appreciate you! I am a 21 year old girl from San Diego, California. I am currently a senior at the University of Oregon, majoring in Advertising, and graduating in June. 
The official Her Campus Oregon account