Astrology The Basics 3png?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Astrology The Basics 3png?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Image courtesy of Anaya Mitchell

Basic Things You Need to Know About Astrology

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

As someone who is very interested in astrology, I’m going to give you a 101 to all of the signs, the four elements that house all the signs, who is compatible with who, etc. 

The first thing you need to know is your zodiac sign. Your sign is determined by your birthday, below I’ve made a chart to determine what your sign is:

Aries – March 21st – April 19th

Taurus – April 20th – May 20th

Gemini – May 21st – June 21st

Cancer – June 22nd – July 22nd

Leo – July 23rd – August 22nd

Virgo – August 23rd – September 22nd

Libra – September 23rd – October 22nd

Scorpio – October 23rd – November 21st

Sagittarius – November 22nd – December 21st

Capricorn – December 22nd – January 19th

Aquarius – January 20th – February 18th

Pisces – February 19th – March 20th

After you determine your zodiac sign, you determine which element your sign falls under. There are four elements which each house three zodiac signs: earth, air, fire, and water. I’ve listed which signs are ruled by each element below: 

Earth – Virgo, Taurus and Capricorn

Air – Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius

Fire – Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius 

Water – Scorpio, Pisces, and Cancer

If you didn’t know before, now you know what sign and element you are, and I’m going to give you a brief intro into what these four groups mean. If you are an earth sign, you are seen as practical, meticulous, stable, and honest. If you are an air sign, like myself, we are seen as detached, social, creative, and free. If you are a fire sign, you are seen as passionate, creative, impulsive, and strong-minded. If you are a water sign, you are seen as emotional, nurturing, and sentimental. Now obviously some or all of these characteristics might not describe you, but it’s a generic idea of what these signs represent. 

Now you know what sign and element you are, and you have a basic idea of what they represent. The main thing people use astrology for is to determine compatibility between themselves and their family, friends, significant others, etc. I’ve listed the top 4 most compatible signs for each sign below: 

Aries – Leo, Sagittarius, Libra, Gemini

Taurus – Virgo, Capricorn, Pisces, Scorpio

Gemini – Aquarius, Libra, Aries, Sagittarius 

Cancer – Scorpio, Pisces, Virgo, Capricorn

Leo – Sagittarius, Aries, Libra, Aquarius

Virgo – Taurus, Capricorn, Cancer, Pisces

Libra – Gemini, Aquarius, Leo, Aries

Scorpio – Pisces, Cancer, Virgo, Taurus

Sagittarius – Aries, Leo, Aquarius, Gemini 

Capricorn – Virgo, Taurus, Scorpio, Cancer

Aquarius – Libra, Gemini, Sagittarius, Leo

Pisces – Cancer, Scorpio, Taurus, Virgo

Now the generic way to determine if you are compatible or not is if they fall under your element or the element that is the best pair for your element. Simply speaking, earth and water signs work best together and air and fire signs work best together. However, this may not always be the case. You might really dislike one of the zodiacs that’s supposed to be a good match for you, and another thing people don’t talk about is the zodiacs are represented differently between men and women and you might like one but not the other. For example, you might really like Gemini women and dislike Gemini men, something like that. I am a Gemini and from what I’ve noticed, these are personally my most compatible signs: Libra men and women, Aquarius women, Sagittarius men and women, Leo men, Aries men and women, Virgo men, Scorpio women, and Capricorn women. Your compatibility is also affected by your Moon, Mars, Venus, etc. but that is a whole different of astrology that I’m not going to get into. 

Ahana Anand

Oregon '23

I am a psychology major at the University of Oregon. I'm originally from Seattle, and I am very excited to be writing for HC.
The official Her Campus Oregon account