That Awkward Moment: What to Do with Your Summer Fling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

It’s a summer come true; you met a guy, totally hit it off, but with school soon approaching, you aren’t sure if it’s just summer lovin’ or the start of something great.

Here’s a few things to ask yourself about this new guy before you call it quits too soon or drag it out until it’s dead.

Signs of a Serious Spark:

Has he posted pictures of you guys together on Facebook?

He’s stoked to be with you! He obviously had some good times with you, and he’s not afraid to show that to the world. He’s not trying to sweep your fling under the rug, and even if his Facebook status says “single,” he still wants people to know that you’re close.

Have you met his friends?

This is a pivotal point in the start of a relationship. If he’s taking you to meet and hang out with his closest buds, it could be the real deal. The next question you should ask yourself is what you think of them. If you feel like he’s a completely different person around his friends, that’s an issue. Also, if their usual hang outs involve activities that you’re really not into—say, constantly playing video games or partying too hard—you might want to reconsider. 

Would you take him home to your parents?

It may be too soon to do so, but if you’ve found someone you want to be with, a parent’s approval is a big plus. This guy should be someone that others believe is a good match for you, and let’s be honest; those who have seen you grow up and know you the best are usually the greatest judges.

Bottom line: Hey, maybe it’s not a bad idea to keep this guy around. Once summer draws to a close, strike up the conversation on how he feels about continuing your relationship into the year. If the answer to each of these questions above is YES, he definitely seems to have more than just a thing for you!

Signs of a Summer Strikeout:

Does he see other girls at the same time?

Big no-no. If you’re not number one at this point, you definitely won’t be once college is up and running again. Even if you’re his “favorite girl to get with,” that’s not a huge compliment if you like him more than hook up buddy.

Is it a commute to see him already?

Long-distance relationships are controversial, especially in college. It can place a lot of strain on your relationship, and may be too big of a challenge so early on. If this guy lives a lot closer to your college (or even goes to it!), you two are way more likely to make it through.

Is he only texting you after one in the morning?

Yeah, so you’re a booty call. Any text that late at night usually only means one thing. If he finds you girlfriend material, he’ll try to see you as much as he can. You’re not just a hook up for him, you’re someone he can’t get enough of. If you’re not feeling that, you shouldn’t look for anything deeper.

Bottom line: It’s better to sever ties on a high note before you develop more feelings for him. It was a great summer, no regrets, but start the year fresh; there are plenty of ducks in the pond! 

Photo by http://bleacherreport.com/articles/795319-pac-12-football-ranking-the-conferences-mascots

Heather is a senior at the University of Oregon, majoring in advertising. An aspiring copywriter, her dream job would be screenwriting for TV, but for the meantime she works as an office assistant, ad director for Envision magazine, freelance graphic designer, and her favorite, campus correspondent at Her Campus Oregon. She hails from Lake Oswego, Oregon, and loves the quirky side of Oregon: its unique people, unpredictable weather, and amazing music scene. She's a cat lover, avid black coffee drinker, and TV and movie addict.