Are You Destroying Your Relationship?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Women always want to feel like they’re close to the person they have feelings for. From texting, to sleeping, to eating, some women need the constant reassurance from their significant other, but sometimes you can end up pushing your man away and putting a damper on your relationship as a whole. Keep reading and see if you are guilty of any of these common mistakes and find out ways to get your relationship back on the right track.

You need to be texting him constantly

While sending cute “Hey babe. Hope you’re having a good day!” texts can  be a cute way to remind your man that he’s on your mind, needing to constantly be in contact with him can be annoying and overly aggressive. There is no reason you need to know what he is doing every second of every single day. Texting him constantly needing to know what is going on is going to eventually push him away. Every one needs some space every once in a while, so don’t scare him away with your clinginess.

The fix: Just stop texting him. It may seem weird but give yourself a limit of how many times you can text him in one day and stick to it. It may seem weird to not know what’s going on in his day for a while, but that just gives you so much more to talk about when you are together and having conversations like that will actually bring you closer together rather than scaring him away.

You get on his case for everything he does

You have a lot on your mind during the day, from school to clothes to family to your man, and you need to realize that he also has a million things on his mind. You boy is bound to forget something from time to time, but that doesn’t mean you need to get on his case and demoralize him for it. Okay so he forgot that your best friend’s brother’s girlfriend’s friend was coming into town, is it really THAT big of a deal in the long run? No.

My boyfriend got me a big box of chocolate for Valentines Day and was very excited about it. I don’t eat chocolate. I never have, and probably never will. It’s just not for me. He definitely knows this too because we’ve had at least two separate conversations about it. But instead of getting mad at him for not remembering, I thanked him for being so enthusiastic about his gift and we ended up having a great valentines day rather than getting into a fight. –Sam, sophomore

The fix: Do what Sam did and look at the bright side, you have a boyfriend and he got you a gift. It is always important to look at the bigger picture. Is getting on his case about this one little slip up really that important? Or would it be better to let the little things slide and be happy about the things he does right.

You don’t trust him at all

There are going to be times in a relationship when you have to trust what your partner is saying because you weren’t there or you have no other insights or information. However, if you cannot trust your significant other at all, problems are going to arrise. If your boyfriend hasn’t given you a reason to not trust him, then you need to relax and understand that you are in a relationship with this person for a reason. You cannot have a healthy, functioning, long-term relationship if there is not trust between the two of you.

The fix:  Talk about your insecurities with your boyfriend in a calm and comfortable setting. By talking about the trust issues you have, you have an opportunity to explain your feelings and issues while not creating more problems for the two of you. It is always better to talk through everything rather than continue to create problems out of nothing.

If you find yourself doing any of the above things, try and catch yourself and work on what you’re doing rather than continuing to push your man away. That will help make for a stronger, healthier relationship. Plus, who wants to know that he had a burger and fries for every single meal he ate today anyways?

Maggie is a senior at the University of Oregon pursuing a degree in Public Relations and Communications through the School of Journalism. She enjoys hanging out with her friends, laying by the pool or on the beach, and traveling. Her favorite city in the world is Paris and she hopes to go back after graduation. Follow her on twitter at @mahilty
The official Her Campus Oregon account