Adventure is in the Air: Cheap Springtime Activities for the Girls!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Finals are underway, but the spring air still calls for adventure! Unfortunately, we collegiettes™ have tight budgets and are forced to find cheap ways to enjoy the fresh air, other than by throwing a Frisbee around. (Always a good way to have fun in the sun, don’t get me wrong.) 

So here is a compilation of some affordable ways to have fun with your girlfriends, while using the perks of being a student living in a naturally beautiful town.

The Outdoors

Enjoy the parks and walking trails spread around Eugene, get a little exercise, and increase your overall happiness. Exercise releases endorphins, and a little time in sunshine can put a smile on anyone’s face.

Rollerbladers, bikers, skaters, and walkers: you will love Alton Baker Park (pictured here).

“The first sunny day of spring term, my friends and I always walk to Alton Baker Park and the Willamette River,” Ryan Riddick, a UO junior, remembers. “We’ve been going to the river and park on sunny days since my freshman year. Some of my best memories are afternoons on the river.” Also, the trails around Alton Baker offer access to the Willamette River, and photographers, drawers, and artists will feel inspired by the luscious scenery.

A Workout

Athletes should explore Mt. Pisgah and Spencer’s Butte for a harder workout and some sweat. Mt. Pisgah is part of Lane County Parks and charges a $3 parking fee per vehicle.

Want to stay indoors? On rainy days or during the never-ending winter months, students can check out yoga and dance classes at the Rec or Eugene’s community centers. Check out our article on the best places to learn yoga!

Eat Up!

“I love getting fro-yo on a sunny day and sitting on 13th St. and watching all the people going about their day,” Anastasia Gilmartin, a UO sophomore, remarks. “The different fashions are great to see, and friends are always walking by.” Yogurt Extreme and The Campus Sub Shop are the latest places to jump on the fro-yo bandwagon and offer a variety of tasty flavors, with tons of toppings to choose from.

Get Artsy

Pottery painting is a favorite of students during any time of the year, and the coupon books handed out on campus or at the Duck Store usually have discounts for Brushfire Pottery and The Potters Quarter. It can run anywhere from $5 to $40, and the tile, paint, and design choices make each piece completely unique.
If the girls don’t want to travel off campus on a rainy or sunny day, then the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art is a great way to spend some time with friends and learn something new as well. UO students and faculty enjoy free admission, and Marche Café is located inside.

The six galleries feature engaging exhibitions on a rotating basis and can attract anyone’s attention. The newest exhibition, “Peter Sarkisian: Video Works, 1996-2006,” runs from May 21 to July 10. According to the JSMA’s website, “Peter Sarkisian explores the spatial and perceptive possibilities of video, film, and sculpture through multimedia works that challenge our perceptions of reality and illusion.”

Eugene weather is always temperamental, but don’t let it interfere with your girl time. Hopefully, some of these ideas will encourage you to get out and explore eclectic Eugene and its surrounding areas. Personally, spring and summer are my favorite seasons because the atmosphere on campus changes completely when the sun comes out. Students wake up from their cold winter hibernation and relish in their youth.

(Photo credit: IceNineJohn and Ariari)

Tiana Bouma is a senior double majoring in Journalism with a focus on magazine and Political Science. She has completed her Business Administration minor.  Bouma’s hometown is now Bend, Oregon but she graduated high school in Danville, California. Bouma has been writing, photographing, and editing for Her Campus since April 2011. but this is her first term as a Branch Manager. After graduation Bouma plans on traveling as much as she can and working for magazines such as National Geographic or a travel magazine. During her spare time, Bouma enjoys music, reading, sports, and movies.  Every moment is a new adventure and she plans to enjoy all of them. 
A University of Oregon junior and San Francisco native, Charmaine Ng loves authentic noodle dishes and will always opt for Asian and Italian cuisine when pressed to choose a restaurant. She is a self-proclaimed "noodler," someone who uses her noodle to collaborate with others and bring big ideas to life. She interns for a student-run full-service ad agency, blogs for a wedding and event planning company, and runs the UO Muggle Quidditch League. In her spare time, she sleeps, and sleeps, and sleeps - and dabbles in social media and blogging, her two biggest passions. Her quirkiness isn't apparent at first, but then she starts talking about packaging design and making funny faces, and you wonder what happened to that shy Asian girl you first met. With ambition bursting beyond the campus walls, Charmaine can't wait to graduate and work for an agency, company, or publication in community outreach efforts using social media.