This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Adulting on Social Media 

These days, by taking a glance at someone’s Instagram feed or twitter profile, you can make a quick judgment on who they are as a person. In college, you must leave the immature posting of your high school days in the past and clean it up.

Be incredibly mindful of what you post, because your photos and captions online become a part of your brand as a professional. Obviously social media was meant to be a creative tool that allows you to network with family and friends, but use it to network with professionals as well. Make your Instagram a platform where a potential employer could look you up and see your personality, but also see your interest in the field associated with your major.

Sure, tweet a picture of your dog, but on the next tweet attach a link to an interesting article. It’s all about finding a balance between the social and professional world. A great way to gauge whether or not to post a photo, tweet or status is to ask yourself if your future boss would like it. Social media can be a creative professional outlet, or your downfall to not landing a job because of an inappropriate post. 

University of Oregon SOJC Student Public Relations Writer Traveler Dog lover Oregon Native
The official Her Campus Oregon account