andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Things You Learn While Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

1. You are OKAY on your own.

While studying abroad in a foreign country can be overwhelming, you learn a lot about how to be independent and confident. Yes, there are times, where you may think: wow I am really on my own, experiencing another culture and place without the comfort of familiarity. But what you take away from this eye-opening experience is that being on your own is totally doable. You begin to realize that you can do anything!

2. Patience, patience, patience.

From time to time, things will not go as planned. But fear not, because losing directions or having your plans unfold is not such a terrible thing. Getting lost abroad sounds stressful, but you quickly learn how to navigate and problem solve. You start to have a considerable amount of patience when things go awry and if you are really in a slump, just ask friendly locals around you.

3. Get out of your box.

Whether it’s trying local food, escaping to a popular tourist spot or doing something that practically drags you out of your comfort zone, you will grow as a person. You don’t need to do something that is potentially dangerous, but trying something that you normally would not is a great way to gain experiences.

4. Set aside some “me” time.

While you are juggling classes, field trips, homework, and sightseeing, studying abroad can feel tiring. Don’t be afraid to have time to relax at night and decompress. Try a face mask or read a book to settle any stress from your long day. A little time alone is extremely beneficial in this process of newness and uncertainty.

5. The food may or may not be what you are expecting.

Depending on where you go, being in another country will be an interesting experience when it comes to eating. Some places may have the most amazing food you have ever tried (endless pasta), but other places could offer foods that you are not accustomed to. That being said, don’t be afraid to dive in and expand your palate. This is a sure way to immerse yourself into another culture.

6. You don’t have to follow the crowd.

You will find that many of your classmates will want to do separate things because everyone has different interests abroad. Find something that grabs you and sightsee. If you find something to do that your friends may not be interested in, go do it! It’s perfectly fine to go off on your own and attend a musical, play or go explore on your own time.

7. You may spend more money than you think.

Though certain places are more expensive than others, money is quickly spent on food, attractions, and adventures with your friends. Try and budget as best you can. If there is something that you are dying to do before you go abroad, then save up some extra money beforehand. The memories you make and the places you go will change your life in more ways than one.

Good luck!

Photo by Patrick Pierre on Unsplash

Hi! I'm Hailey. I am a senior at the Unviersity of Oregon studying Advertising. I am a workout nut and a Certified Personal Trainer at our campus REC center. In my free time you can find me outside, either hiking, biking or exercising. I am also completley obsessed with the fashion industry and will hopefully be going into Fashion Merchandising and Marketing in the near future. 
The official Her Campus Oregon account