absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Places to Dine this Valentine’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

You’ve scored a date, but you’re all dressed up with nowhere to go. Need a good restaurant for you and your date this Valentine’s Day? I asked six girls (and one guy) about their favorite dinner date spots in the Eugene area.

Sophomore Melanie McGuire says her ideal spot is the Excelsior Inn, located on 13th between Hilyard and Alder. Definitely on your upper scale of the price range, Excelsior offers a high class bistro experience and even a specialized “Valentine’s menu,” with appetizers starting at $10 and entrée prices starting at $24. They also serve brunch, lunch, and offer a bistro menu of slightly more affordable meals. Melanie recommends it for the “delicious food, and cozy yet sophisticated atmosphere.” If you feel like postponing the big date an extra day, live music is featured every Friday and Saturday night, 7-9:30 pm, usually featuring jazz and Latin-Mediterranean music. And if you’re in the “go big or go home” mentality, you can even complete the night by renting a room, starting at $99.

Maybe that’s a bit out of your price range. Don’t worry!

Graduate Amy Micallef suggests Ambrosia as her dinner date restaurant of choice. “It’s a great, intimate restaurant with wonderful service. The atmosphere is very warm and cozy,” says Amy. For the Valentine’s specials, Ambrosia offers a three course meal for two, $29 per person. Tables on the balcony are also available for a more secluded, birds-eye view of the restaurant and bar. Ambrosia is located on 8th and Pearl and boasts of an award-winning wine list, with hundreds of wines from allover the world. To catch a cheaper deal, try stopping by their happy hour during 4-6 pm, where you can get Fried Mozzarella sticks, “Spaghetti Alla Bolognese,” “Calamari Fritti,” or a “Calzone Margarita” for only $7. You can also purchase well drinks for $3.50 and a draft beer on tap for $3.00.

Her sister, junior Megan Micallef, recommends Sushi Station located on 5th and Pearl for sushi lovers. “The service is really good and I love sushi!” she says. Sushimi plates start at $7.95 and contain 5 pieces of sushi, with four different types of delicious tuna. Signature Sushi Station rolls range from $4.95-12.95, with 4-9 pieces of sushi per plate. There are salads and rice bowls also available.

Junior Kelly Viernes says she loves the Vintage, located on 8th and Lincoln. “It almost seems like it’s meant for couples,” says Kelly, “the ambiance was very homey and the food choices—delicious!” There are many organic options available, with a variety of menu items from tapas to fish & chips to savory crepes. For only $16, you can share one of their famous fondues, with your choice of bleu cheese, Swiss, beer cheddar, or pepper jack cheese, served with fresh bread, vegetables, and apples.  The desserts are also highly recommended, and for over 21-ers, try to stop by during their 3-6 pm happy hour, or try their signature cocktail list.

Graduate Valerie Savercool claims the Vintage may be pretty packed for Valentine’s since they don’t take reservations. Instead, she recommends Mazzi’s, located at 3377 E. Amazon, and founded by Oregon grad Frank Ernandes. The small Italian family-owned restaurant boasts of locally grown, fresh ingredients in their homemade pastas, pizzas, and sausage. “It’s nice,” Valerie tells, “Great food, a cozy Italian atmosphere, and lovely romantic lighting.” Prices start at $8.95 and most dishes are around $14-18, but if that still stretches your college student budget, there is a groupon currently for $25 for two.

If you’re looking for something a little less fancy and serious, and perhaps a guy’s perspective, junior Randall Strehlow suggests the Glenwood Restaurant, located on 13th and Alder. “It’s super chill and small and the food is primo,” says Randall, but humbly adds to take his advice with a grain of salt, because he has been unsuccessful in the dating realm. He adds that another enticing factor may be their all-day breakfast menu. Their home-fried potatoes are rumored to be legendary. Glenwood offers many gluten-free options as well, such as gluten-free rolls with breakfast and gluten-free buns for their delicious selection of burgers, sandwiches, and paninis. Their prices are also very affordable, with dishes around $7.95-$10.95. They also have a daily selection of desserts (if you’re not already full from their heaping portions), and highly-recommended service.

But maybe you’re not feeling the whole restaurant atmosphere, or the crowded nature of Valentine’s Day. Sophomore Nicole Stoenner says nothing beats a home-cooked meal, “especially with wine!” It’s fun to try new recipes, bond over the experience, and save some money, while making dinner more personal and intimate than a restaurant ever could.

Personally, my ideal date would be a night in, complete with a good movie and take out—preferably, Tasty Thai. Located on 14th and Hilyard, this Thai restaurant also has a dining area but it’s fairly small and often crowded, so be sure to order ahead and take it to go. It’s worth it; the food is to die for. My favorite—along with most Thai food lovers—is the chicken pad Thai, with the yellow curry coming in a close second. For seafood lovers, try the Hawaiian Fried Rice. Most of their main dishes are gluten-free, and they also offer Thai iced tea and bubble tea. Yum! Not only that, but they deliver-so no dishes, no fuss. And you don’t even need a date!

Valentine’s Day shouldn’t be the only time of the year you get to go on a fancy dinner date, but it’s definitely an excuse to dress up and go all out. All of this is possible on a budget, even for broke college couples! And remember, no matter how great the food is, the best part of a nice dinner is who you spend it with. Don’t have a date? Maybe plan a fun night out with your single ladies, or a cozy night in with the roommates. Bon appétit!

Heather is a senior at the University of Oregon, majoring in advertising. An aspiring copywriter, her dream job would be screenwriting for TV, but for the meantime she works as an office assistant, ad director for Envision magazine, freelance graphic designer, and her favorite, campus correspondent at Her Campus Oregon. She hails from Lake Oswego, Oregon, and loves the quirky side of Oregon: its unique people, unpredictable weather, and amazing music scene. She's a cat lover, avid black coffee drinker, and TV and movie addict.
The official Her Campus Oregon account