etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Dos and Donts When Visiting New York City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Many people are excited by the idea of New York City but have either never been or don’t understand the logistics of living there permanently. If you were raised in a big city, then you probably have more expertise when it comes to everyday life in New York. But for those of us that come from smaller towns and want to branch out and grow somewhere new, here are some tips to help you adjust if you decide the city is for you.

Do: Learn the subway system

The subway might not be the most delightful form of transportation in the middle of the summer when the humidity is high and you’re crammed onto a cart with hundreds of sweaty people, but it does get you from point A to point B quickly. It’s inexpensive and can be a nice break from driving because you can read, catch up on emails, or flip through the pages of a magazine. Learning the different routes will only take a little bit of time and your wallet will be thankful that you aren’t paying for an Uber every day.

Don’t: Take the subway late at night

Although the subway is great, there are times when it’s best to hail a cab or request an Uber. As a young woman who lived in New York City over the summer, I know there are certain times it’s best to pay the extra money for a safe ride home. If you’re alone, I don’t recommend taking the subway between midnight and 4 am. There aren’t usually a lot of riders at these times and it can be intimidating if you’re stuck on a cart alone with someone that’s making you feel unsafe.

Do: Expand your food palette 

There are so many different food options in New York, which means it’s a great opportunity to expand your palette. Be open to trying new dishes and understand that this is part of the experience. Odds are that you won’t like everything you try, but it’s important to be open to things that are different.

Don’t: Shop too much

In my opinion, shopping in New York City is overrated. Just because there are stores on every corner doesn’t mean there is a need for constant purchases. Try not to impulse buy too much because all the extra souvenirs will add to the weight of your suitcase and the overage fees at the airport are a nightmare. Instead of purchasing clothes you can buy anywhere in the world, spend your money on experiences.

Do: Visit museums

One of the greatest things about the city is how easily accessible art and culture is. I would encourage you to immerse yourself in as many ways as possible. Think outside of the box and visit museums that are less tourist-like. You’ll be surprised at how much you learn by spending a few hours looking at paintings or fossils. Most likely you will leave feeling a greater sense of appreciation for the people around you.

Don’t: Wait in long lines for bars 

I turned 21 when I was living in the city and something I quickly learned was that the lines at popular bars are hard to avoid. It’s normal to wait a short amount of time to get inside, but if the wait is over an hour it’s just not worth it. Many bars tell customers that they are full and can’t bring more people in until others have left. What they are really doing is purposely making you stand outside in order to draw more attention to their business. If a line seems unusually long, don’t fall prey to their game.

Although New York City might not be the place for everyone, it has a lot to offer to those who give it the chance. I hope you can use these tips on your next visit and who knows, maybe you’ll fall in love with the city just like I did.

The official Her Campus Oregon account