5 Ways to Celebrate Valentine’s Day, No Matter your Relationship Status

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Take it from me, I’ve spent too many Valentine’s day single, and it’s lead me to dread the holiday of pink hearts and love notes. I refused to celebrate a holiday that I was seemingly left out of. That was until I realized that I had bought into the idea that you can’t celebrate Valentine’s day as a singleton, and that just wasn’t true. Valentine’s day should be a celebration of all kinds of love and relationships, and that includes self-love. It’s a day to take for yourself and celebrate the relationships (romantic or not!) that mean the most to you. Send a letter to your mom, text an old friend, call your best friend; there are plenty of relationships, besides a romantic one, to celebrate. And I’m a firm believer that self-care should be a part of Valentine’s day celebrations.

If you’re celebrating the day alone, here are a few ways I plan to celebrate the holiday of love.

1. Facetime/Call someone you love

Especially in the era of social distancing, connecting with family and friends can be vital for mental health and overall happiness. And what better than to connect with the most important people in your life, on a day that honors love. A phone call with your best friend, or your mom, or an aunt you haven’t talked to in a month, can lift your mood and make their day as well.

2. Bake Celebratory Treats

Try baking those heart-shaped sugar cookies with pink icing that you saw on Pinterest. Or try making some easy rice crispie treats with red food coloring as an ode to the pink and red holiday. As long as you pick up some pink and red food coloring from the store, you can turn practically anything into Valentine’s day themed treat.

3. Reignite the Spark with an Old Hobby

A great way to take time for yourself and reconnect is through exploring old and new hobbies. Maybe it means picking up a paint brush for the first time in a year or learning a new song on the piano. Maybe it looks like writing in a journal you’ve neglected. Take time to reconnect with yourself through your old and abandoned hobbies.

4. Light A Candle

A messy bed with someone watching a show on a laptop and eating valentines chocolates alone
Photo by C Technical from Pexels

Speaking of self-care, light your favorite scented candle, set mood lighting, and watch your favorite movie or tv show. Better yet, find your perfect Valentine’s day themed movie or tv episode to go with the mood.

5. Disconnect from Social Media

If Valentine’s day isn’t the easiest holiday for you, try disconnecting from social media for the day. This will help you focus on your present relationships and focus better on self-care. Social media can be a blessing and curse, and it’s important to find a balance. If you’re looking to avoid all the sappy and valentine day themed posts, then it may be better to just avoid it altogether for the day.

Bottom line, there are so many ways to celebrate Valentine’s day whether you’re single or in a relationship this year. This holiday is for everyone, a celebration of love of all kinds, regardless of your relationship status.

Alanna Uding

Oregon '22

Hi I'm Alanna! I'm from Portland Oregon and I'm currently a senior at University of Oregon with a major in Education and a minor in English. I love going on hikes, runs, trying new coffee shops and in my free time, writing. I'm excited to contribute to a creative space focused on empowering women!
The official Her Campus Oregon account