5 Things I Will Tell My Little Sister Before College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

In a few years, my sister will be off to college. As a third-term freshman, I’ve already rallied up some advice to give her when she eventually makes the transition herself. This is what I will tell her, because I got your back, sister!

1. Put yourself out there.

This is something I struggled with a lot in my first two terms. I didn’t join anything that would assist me in making new friends, and it’s something I wish I would have done because I know my experience would have been a lot different and possibly better. 

2. Try new things.

This is fairly broad, but it’s very important to try all kinds of new things when starting college because this is how you can find new passions and friends. 

3. Don’t leave everything until the last minute.

Procrastination is the worst thing you can do to yourself in college. Everything seems to pile up at once, so getting things done ahead of time will help you get through your hardest weeks. 

4. Do the readings.

There’s always a lot of them and they’re overly time consuming, but the key to doing the best in class is to actually do the readings. Tests and essays often reflect those readings, so it’s best to know the material ahead of time so you can ace those questions. 

5. Have fun life experiences.

Sometimes you will have the opportunity to either study or to do something really fun with your friends. It’s equally important to study and get good grades, but there are some things you will not be able to do again, so have fun while you can.

Journalism student at the University of Oregon who aspires to be a documentary maker one day. I love traveling, writing and dogs.
The official Her Campus Oregon account