5 Things To Do If You Don’t Want To Go Out On Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

1. Scary Movie Night with Friends:

If your plan is to stay in on the 31st, then the Halloween/Horror section of Netflix is calling your name. As cliché as a movie night is, nothing screams “Halloween night in” like a movie marathon with your spookiest friends. So, grab that bowl of popcorn, open those boxes of Junior Mints, and make sure to share that bottle of wine because you’re gonna need it if you stream The Babadook, The Conjuring, or any of the Saw movies. Whatever movie decides to keep you in, remember that many screams and jumps that cause possible wine spills are bound to happen.

2. Halloween Inspired Game Night

You’re never too old to bring out the board games for a hauntingly fun night. In fact, the best type of game night deserves a scary twist. Have each friend pick a board game of their choosing, and the loser of each game gets to do some sort of Halloween inspired dare. Or better yet, if you’re all feeling extremely daring then go ahead and pull out that Ouija board for maximum creepiness. Pull out the board and turn off the lights, maybe add some candles, strictly for the aesthetic and you’re good to go.

3. Bring the Party to You! 

I realize a large aspect of not wanting to go out is the sheer form of laziness we have created throughout the week. By the time the weekend rolls around all I want to do is throw on some sweats and eat some donuts. So why not bring the party to you? Invite your friends over in their favorite costumes. Yes, your sweats can pose as the perfect “post-graduate on a budget” costume. As for the donuts? Tie each one to a string and hang them from the ceiling. Then see which friend can eat the donut the fastest while not using their hands. The winner gets the pure satisfaction of their donut eating capabilities and you’ll get an excuse to order more donuts. (for your friends, of course)

4.  Dinner and Dessert (college-budget style) 

If all else fails on Halloween Night, I know dinner and dessert will turn your mood from “hangry”  to happy in seconds. You don’t need to burn a ton on Halloween Night, in fact, you can do the exact opposite. All it takes is a Halloween costume, an empty pillowcase, and a good attitude. Step one: find a costume and put it on. Step two: head over to the nearest Chipotle because on Halloween if you come in wearing a costume, you’ll get a “boorito” for only $3. Are you usually scared of guac costing extra? Well, Halloween is the perfect opportunity to do what really scares you and order that scoop. And the final step: use your empty pillowcase to go trick-r-treating. Sound too old? Which sounds better, a free candy bar or one you pay for?

5. A Haunting Road Trip to Portland

Are you in the mood for a real scare? Grab a group of friends for a quick drive to Portland because you’ll be able to experience a ton of Haunted Houses that the city has to offer. Your night can be full of screams and laughs as you enter the ghoulish mazes of “The 13th Door” and “FrightTown.” There are creepy clowns, weird zombies, and the potential for peed pants around every corner. Regardless of where you end up on Halloween, stay safe and have a fun night! Happy Haunting! 

The official Her Campus Oregon account