books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

5 Simple Ways To Stay Organized at School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

As a freshman at the UofO, I am finally learning what works for me in terms of staying organized and keeping track of all my classes and activities. College can get crazy at times, and keeping everything nice and neat helps you stay on task and prepared for class. Here are 10 lessons that other students and teachers have passed on to me–and could possibly be helpful to you.

1) Set an alarm in the morning.

I wake up at 6:30. This may not be the right time for everyone, but in my case, waking up that early gives me time to get ready for the day and sit down for breakfast and not rush. I find that when I sleep in, I am rushed in the morning and then I’m just stressed the rest of the day. Rosie Osmun, a writer for the Huffington Post says, “Without alarms, many of us would oversleep and wind up late for work. As great as sleeping in sounds, being on time is a (harsh) reality we often must abide. In order for business and schools to run smoothly, agreeing on a set time to be there can be essential, whether you’d like more sleep or not.”  

2) Don’t Procrastinate.

I know that this is easier said than done–and believe me, I love netflix just as much as you do–but pushing yourself and getting your work down early is so much better than staying up until 1:00 in the morning trying to cram your homework. Procrastination also leads to stress (and stress sucks!). A trick is to take breaks. I tend to work for 45 minutes and then take 15 minutes to go on my phone or grab some food, and then go back to my work.

3) Go to class and sit in the front.

This one may seem self-explanatory, but I get it, girl. It’s hard to get the motivation to get up for actual class. You are here for an education and ditching classes isn’t fair to you or your teacher! Sitting in front is a great way to make sure you don’t doze off or go online shopping. When you get to test day and get an A, you’ll thank me!

4) Pack your school bag the night before.

This would let you sleep in!! (And that is definitely worth it right?) Packing the night before gives you time to make sure you have the right binders, and then you don’t have to worry about getting all your school stuff together the next morning. Last year I had a difficult experience when I brought the wrong binder to school because I was rushed packing my bag in the morning. For the entire period I was trying to remember what was on my homework because it wasn’t actually with me.

5) Talk to your teachers and actually get to know them.

Don’t just be another face in the room, especially in the 500 person lectures. Your teachers are there for you, so honesty use them! They are amazing resources, and if you have a question, your teachers are always open to helping you. They understand your workload, and they probably know your strengths and weaknesses in the class. It’s always smart to start networking, too!

I hope these organizational tips help our messy lives come together! Have an amazing year, collegiettes!

The official Her Campus Oregon account