5 Reasons to Watch “The Sinner”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Who doesn’t enjoy a good mystery? For those of you who don’t know, this summer’s hottest new mini-series is “The Sinner” and it stars Jessica Biel in a thrilling role. Biel plays a young, middle-aged woman who finds herself in a world of trouble as she becomes violent toward a complete stranger, or so she claims. This series is full of suspense, drama, and sheds light on very personal topics such as mental and physical abuse and post-traumatic stress disorder. I personally loved the show; I could not get enough of it and still want more! There are more than 5 reasons to watch and love this show, but here are some that come to mind:

1. The reason is in the name: MINI series Like many of us who are full-time students, we do not have time to watch regular-sized television series. This mini-series is perfect. There are no previous seasons to catch up on, no never-ending list of characters to memorize, AND only eight suspense-filled episodes to blow through. I went through the series as fast as I could. For any of you out there who watched and loved “Big Little Lies,” this show will not disappoint!

2. You’ll be lead on in suspense I love to watch a good mystery show of any kind, really. If you agree, then you will love “The Sinner,” too. Each episode brings something new to the plot and keeps you on your toes, guessing the possible outcomes. I tried to predict things, but I always got it slightly off, which kept me wanting more each episode. The twists and turns of the show are very well done.

3. You learn cool things, especially about the brain I don’t know about everyone else, but I find it really cool when you actually get to learn something interesting while watching a tv show. The miniseries touches on things such as repressed memory and how the brain can bury things in your mind for years. The mind is very powerful (we all know this), but it is crazy to think that your brain can have you forget certain things, especially things that are traumatizing. The show also shows the results of how certain post-traumatic stress disorder victims handle situations. In this case, the PTSD that Biel is dealing with involves repressed memory.

4. It’s a slightly dark and creepy show As I said before, I love mystery shows. More often than not, the show has some creepy moments in it. The show exemplifies how far people will go for loved ones and reputations. Sometimes going to the end of the earth for someone is a good thing, other times it can be incriminating.

5. We all love Jessica Biel Who doesn’t love Jessica Biel? Not only is she gorgeous and funny, but she’s also crazy talented. She absolutely transforms while playing this role, and executes every part of this character with such emotion and detail it should be award-winning.

I hope some of these reasons tempt you into watching the miniseries “The Sinner!” I loved the first season, and I will be so thrilled if they continue on for a second.

photos from: theringer, IndieWire, and Enews 

Hi there! I'm glad you made it to my page! My name is Gillian George, and I am a junior/incoming senior at the University of Oregon. I am currently getting into the Advertising program of the Journalism Major and have a minor of business. Writing and photography are my two biggest passions in life, I have been taking portriats for  a few years now and I am trying to create a small business out of it! I love talking to people and helping people with any sort of situation. I grew up surrounded by my family who all work in the medical field, and I enjoy educating people on womens health so if you have any questions feel free to ask away! I also love food, traveling, and a good mystery television show or movie!
The official Her Campus Oregon account