Fall Football Fashion: What to Wear on Game Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Cool weather, leaves changing color, and the smell of pumpkins and spices are just a few things that remind us that fall is here – but when you go to Oregon State you know that fall has come when it’s football season. It’s difficult to pick out an outfit when the weather can be unpredictable. I’ve been to games where it’s so sunny I am sunburned by the end, but I’ve also attended games where I end up drenched from head to toe. Never fear collegiettes, here are some outfit ideas to you’ll want to look cute and spirited for the game despite no matter what the weather brings.

1. Sunny and Hot

When it’s warm outside, it’s a lot easier to show off your spirit. I would recommend wearing either white or denim shorts and pairing it with a spirited top, whether it’s a jersey, a t-shirt or tank top. Because you won’t need a bulky rain jacket yet, take advantage of the warmth and wear any of your favorite Beaver tops since you won’t have to hide it! I would keep accessories at a minimum because you’re already showing so much spirit in your top (which will probably include some form of bright orange).

If still want to add something to your outfit, you can wear a necklace such your favorite Oregon State beads, or you can pull your hair back in a pony tail and add an orange and black ribbon. Lastly, I would wear classic black Converse. If you’ve ever attended a Beaver game, you know how busy the city gets, so you’ll probably be walking to tailgates and to the game. Be sure to wear shoes that are comfortable! For me, I love Converse and am able to walk around in them all day long.

2. Cold and Dry

This is my favorite type of weather to watch a football game in. It’s cold, so I can still bundle up in my favorite Beaver gear, but it’s dry so I don’t need to cover up my outfit with a rain jacket. During these games, I would typically wear either a graphic hoodie with jeans, or I would wear a simple gray hoodie and pair it with a black vest. Because the second option doesn’t have a lot of spirit to it, I would add the Oregon State scarf pictured above to give the outfit a pop of orange. I would match this combo with a pair of comfortable jeans and, again, comfortable shoes – like my Converse.

3. Cold and Wet

Because we live in Oregon, we will most likely have a lot of rainy games. It’s important that you stay warm and attempt to stay dry to avoid illness. During these games I would typically wear a sweatshirt of some kind and cover it with my black rain jacket and a pair of jeans. Because this outfit is so simple and dark, I love using any kind of accessory to spice it up. Beanies are a perfect way to do this, and scarves are another great option. These both will show your spirit and keep you warm. Like I’ve stated earlier, you’ll probably be walking around a lot, and nobody likes to walk around with cold, soaking wet feet, so wearing rain boots would be ideal. My favorite thing to wear with rain boots are tall, black and orange Oregon State socks that peak out of my boots.

Now that you’ve got your outfit ready, don’t forget about the other things you’ll need to bring to have a fabulous game day. In order to get into football games, you need to have your ticket and your student ID, and sometimes having cash is helpful as well. Nobody wants to carry around a purse because it usually gets in the way, and you’ll be surrounded by tons of people. I suggest that you get a small bag that will fit what you need, that way you can just cross it over your body and hide it under your jacket. I recently received one from my mom’s friend, and I wear it to every game. It’s the perfect size and it never feels like I am carrying a bag.

No matter what you decide to wear to the game, make sure it is something you feel good in since everybody has their own unique style. I can’t wait to see what you all wear on game day!