Your Ultimate Corvallis Halloweekend Shopping Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Halloween in Corvallis is more than just a one-day event made for little kids and their parents to go trick-or-treating. Halloween is a weekend celebration that we at Beaver Nation like to call “Halloweekend.” There are tons of parties, special movie screenings, dances, and all sorts of events going on around campus and downtown for the weekend, and you’ll need a costume (or maybe even multiple costumes) for it all. I mean — could you expect any less from a school whose colors are black and orange to begin with? Check out these destinations for all of your Halloweekend needs.

1. Spirit Halloween

Location: Timberhill Shopping Center, Kings Blvd., Corvallis, Oregon (between Ross and Rue21)

Hours: Sunday: 12pm – 6pm, Monday – Thursday: 11am – 7pm, Friday: 11am – 9pm, Saturday: 10am – 9pm

Description: Every year this store is set up in September and broken down the first week of November. You can find costumes, special effects, decorations, makeup, accessories, pumpkin carving tools, and just about everything else you could need for Halloween. There are plenty of packaged costumes to choose from, but you can also get creative and make your own costume from accessories and basic costume essentials they have as well. Try out their “create a costume” tool on their website for some ideas to get you started!

2. Nightmare on 9th St.

Location: 1475 NW 9th St, Corvallis, OR

Hours: Sunday: 12 pm- 5pm, Monday-Friday: 10 am-7 pm, Saturday: 10 am-6 pm

Description: For over 20 years Special Occasions, a party and event goods store here in town, has brought out it’s darker alter ego in the form of Nightmare on 9th St. Nightmare on 9th St. prides itself on being the largest independent Halloween superstore in the area. They have costumes, special effects, decorations, wigs, and so much more! They often have these items year-round at the Special Occasions store as well in storage, so if you want to get the jump on finding your perfect costume just ask one of the retail associates there.

3. Goodwill

Location: 1325 NW 9th St, Corvallis, OR

Hours: Sunday: 10 am-8 pm, Monday-Saturday: 9 am-9 pm

Description: Every year the Goodwill here in Corvallis has a Halloween section to rival any other. They have packaged costumes, plastic spiders and insects, clothing items you can use for your costume, home decorations, and costumes people have surrendered to the store in the past. There are normally at least 4 or 5 racks of costumes and Halloween graphic tees, and then several home goods displays throughout the store. One of my favorite things is that the closer it gets to Halloween, many of the employees start dressing up and there are “wanted” pictures all over the store of them in their costumes. I actually got both of my costumes here last year! For the first one I took a mod dress and distressed it with some fake blood and plastic spiders. I also found a boys’ skeleton costume that fit me perfectly that I added spiders and glow-in-the-dark paint to, which was a lot of fun. To get started, check out their guide to Halloween shopping in the store here.

4. The Alley

Location: 312 SW Jefferson Ave. Corvallis, OR

Hours: Monday – Saturday: 11-6 pm, Sunday, 12-5 pm

Description: Every year the Alley, the men’s location for the Second Glance consignment store locations here in town, opens up “The Haunted Alley” that offers lots of costumes at super affordable prices. Their selection isn’t quite as large as the other locations on this list, but what they do offer is tailored to their customer base. If you can’t find something in their costume selection, they may be able to find you clothing items that could work instead as well. They also normally have a spooktacular sale every year at all of their locations.

5. M&J Costume Rentals

Location: 7340 NW Mt. View Corvallis, OR

Description: This is one of the only locations on this list that I haven’t been to here in town. I’ve seen the signs all around, but I’ve just normally bought my costume other places or ended up making mine from items in my closet. However, from reading their description I think they should definitely be on your list of places to check out when finding your perfect costume. The costume rental costs range from $25-50 including accessories, and you pay a deposit equal to the price of your costume. If you return your costume in the same condition as you got it (maybe carefully wash it before you give it back), then you’ll get that deposit back. The owner, Joyce, has designed, made, and collected several costumes throughout the year to put this spooky store together.

Hours: 12 pm-8 pm Sunday-Saturday

Bonus Stores:

1. Oregon State Beaver Store

Location: 663 SW 26th Street Oregon State University Campus Corvallis, Oregon

Hours: Monday-Friday: 8 am – 6 pm, Saturday: 10 am – 5 pm, Sunday: Closed

Description: So they don’t exactly have costumes here except for maybe some tutus and outfits for your pets, but I had to put this one on the list because they have the cutest Halloween graphic tees around. Last year, I got a Halloween tuxedo skeleton shirt with the Oregon State logo on it, and I still wear it year round. Maybe you just want a night in on Halloween or want to watch the game before you go out. In that case, rocking one of the Halloween tees they offer would be the perfect casual look for you. Or, you can always just rock your normal Beaver nation gear and add some zombie makeup to complete your undead look.

2. Albany Costume Outlet

Location: 135 Second St SE, Albany, OR

Description: In store owner Marti Calson’s own words (as heard here), her Halloween costume rules are pretty simple, “No skank and no gore.” For 35 years Calson has been designing custom clothing for the Loft, and their style leans more towards those who want a more classic or historic look. Princesses, period movie characters and historical figures are all prominently featured in the store, so if your family is having a Halloween party and you want to have a covered up look that is still cute, this may be exactly where you want to look. The store has over 7, 000 garments to rent or buy ranging from $20 to $200, so there are plenty of options for everyone.

Hours: Their store hours vary daily, so check their website or make an appointment.

Happy Halloween Shopping, Beaver Nation!

Madeline is a Senior at Oregon State majoring in Merchandising Management and minoring in writing. She was the 2016-'17 president of Chi Theta Phi, a local design sorority on campus. If she's not in class, at a club meeting, chapter, or writing, she's probably spending time with her family, friends, walking her dogs, eating junk food, or watching too many crime, comedy, or fashion shows on Netflix. She likes cheese, dogs, creative projects, obnoxious animal prints, garage sales, farmer's markets, and generally just being silly.