Why J. Lo’s “Ain’t Your Mama” is the Feminist Anthem You Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

If you haven’t already seen J Lo’s new “Ain’t your Mama” music video you should get on it immediately. Though there have been mixed reviews on whether it is a feminist anthem or not in the little time since it has been released, in my personal opinion it is an empowering listen. Here are a few reasons why:

1. She slays as a Rosie the Riveter look alike.

During the 1940’s when men went off to war women worked in factories like the one J. Lo’s Rosie character is shown in. The shift here is that J Lo has flipped the script and is fighting back against men trying to take back their jobs and put them back in the kitchen. She is a woman not afraid to fight for the freedoms she is not willing to give up.

2. She discusses body positivity.

She briefly mentions body positivity during her time as a Rosie look alike but then references this point throughout the video that women look all different ways and there is no wrong way to have a body. Loving yourself is the most important thing at any size.

3. She fights back against the idea that women are only able to cook and clean.

Granted this isn’t one of the most current or biggest issue out there for intersectional feminists but it is still an issue that exists in some areas. Comments by Trump demeaning women and the degradation of women’s issues continue to bring to light the fact that women still have a lot to fight for. Some women want to be housewives but women should be given the choice either way and the ability to live their dreams.

4. She seems to reference the fight for equal pay.

Throughout the video you see women working hard and doing the same job as men in their office but not getting nearly the same respect as the men around them. They are also not getting paid nearly as much either and women continue to fight for this right.

5. Her dance moves are on point.

Of course J Lo’s moves are always on point, but she really kills it during this video and her passion for the subject and taking a stand is clearly visible.

6. She rocks wild 80’s hair and pulls off a power suit flawlessly.

Women embraced their sexual beings and what they had to offer in both the workplace and the bedroom in the ‘80s and J Lo showcases this time period well by showing off a power suit and  a bold hairstyle. She is a strong and confident woman that clearly knows what she wants to do and won’t let any men stand in her way.

7. She gives you the feminist history refresher you’ll need to keep fighting the patriarchy.

J Lo takes us from the 1940’s to the present and chronicles the changing face of feminism and women’s issues in this music video. Though it’s a little comical and uses a lot of product placement the video is approved by Hillary Clinton herself and is a good watch whether you agree with her politics or not.

“When a man gives his opinion, he’s a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she’s a bitch.”

— Bette Davis

Madeline is a Senior at Oregon State majoring in Merchandising Management and minoring in writing. She was the 2016-'17 president of Chi Theta Phi, a local design sorority on campus. If she's not in class, at a club meeting, chapter, or writing, she's probably spending time with her family, friends, walking her dogs, eating junk food, or watching too many crime, comedy, or fashion shows on Netflix. She likes cheese, dogs, creative projects, obnoxious animal prints, garage sales, farmer's markets, and generally just being silly. 
Katherine Borchers is a Junior at Oregon State University and is majoring in Digital Communication Arts. She is involved on campus with Res Life and So Worth Loving at Oregon State. You can find her procrastinating real life responsibilities, drinking coffee, and procrastinating some more. When she procrastinates, she loves to sing loudly (not well, either), read books, and do artsy-fartsy stuff.