Top 5 Must Watch TV Shows for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

As the start of a new school year is finally here, so are new seasons of some of our favorite TV shows. September and October are prime times to get re-hooked on the characters we have all grown to love (or hate), and we are pulled even deeper into the romantic, funny, action packed or horrifying storylines. Fall doesn’t just begin a new season with the changing of the leaves; it also brings new shows to watch and more characters to talk about like friends.

1. The Mindy Project

She’s fun, she’s quirky, she wears a lot of printed clothing; Mindy Kaling is back at it again with a third season of The Mindy Project. This show follows the life of OBGYN Dr. Mindy Lahiri as she navigates through her life full of chaotic work situations and her many boyfriends. There is never a dull moment when this doctor is in the house, and you will laugh along with her – and maybe at her – during this upcoming season. 

Genre: Comedy

Channel: FOX

Premiere: September 16th @ 9:30pm

2. The Walking Dead

A virus has taken over the world, and human brains have been compromised. The Walking Dead portrays the life of survivor colonies, which have formed to keep the human race alive and protected from the zombie walkers. The main characters have taken refuge in an abandoned prison, but situations rise between the group inside the walls of their safe haven. Although the show is in it’s fifth season, there is no better time than now to start watching. This thrilling and action packed television series is based off of a comic book written by Robert Kirkman.

Genre: Drama/Horror

Channel: AMC

Premiere: October 12th @ 9:00pm

3. Manhattan Love Story

Dating can be a rollercoaster of emotions. In this new romantic comedy, audiences will get the chance to experience the lives of a young couple as they take that rollercoaster for a ride. Hearing the thoughts that run through their heads goes to show what a bumpy ride relationships can be, but the show is also romantic and hilarious at times. Be sure to catch the premiere of Manhattan Love Story this fall. 

Genre: Comedy

Channel: ABC

Premiere: September 30th @ 8:30pm

4. Modern Family

Loosely based on today’s typical family life, Modern Family shows the struggles and trium

phs of a diverse family who has a few more hilarious moments than most. They may not always agree with each other, but at the end of the day they will always have the bond of their loving family. Going into its sixth season, you won’t want to miss out on all the laughs this fall with the Pritchett-Dunphy-Tucker family.

Genre: Comedy

Channel: ABC

Premiere: September 24th @ 9:00pm

5. Gotham

Before Batman and his fight against The Penguin, The Riddler and The Joker, there were the people and the circumstances that created these iconic villains. [ES1] There is a new show in town that tells their stories, and it will definitely keep you on the edge of your seat. Gotham tells the story of Commissioner James Gordon, who tries to keep the balance of good and evil in a city that has more crime than anything.

Genre: Action

Channel: FOX

Premiere: September 22nd @ 8:00pm

Even if you won’t have much spare time this fall, see if you can get into one of these great shows to use as a study break! Taking a “trip” to an alternate reality can do wonders for the brain – just make sure you don’t spend too much time on the tube.

Megan is an Oregon State University Alum with a degree in Merchandising Management. During her four years at OSU she helped found Chi Theta Phi, a local sorority with a focus on the design majors, where she held the ritual chair position her senior year. In addition to the sorority, she was the event coordinator for DAMchic magazine, the fashion publication at Oregon State, and has also been involved in costuming two plays for the OSU theatre. Megan enjoys binge watching tv shows on Netflix, doing arts and crafts, online shopping and catching up on sleep. She is obsessed with giraffes, mojitos, the color pink, reading, Halloween, purses, Las Vegas, singing in the shower, pop culture, gel nail polish, Mindy Kaling, the 90's, hedgehogs, quoting movies, trivia, candles, and live music, specifically the Backstreet Boys. This isn't goodbye, it's just see you later.