This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Written by Andrew Trapalis

Ever since transitioning from home to college, the idea of collectiveness and comradery isn’t to the standard we are used to seeing. People have their headphones in and are more focused on themselves than others. Whether you’re a first year, or a graduate student, feeling alone in this new atmosphere can be a familiarity; however, Thanksgiving is the perfect opportunity, for all of us, to come together and share in something bigger than ourselves.

I had the great experience of having Thanksgiving with three young men part of the  Australian foreign exchange program here on campus last year, and it was truly something remarkable. For one, it was my first Thanksgiving spent with family and friends. Secondly, it truly opened my eyes to how special friendships and loved ones are in my life. Traditionally, Thanksgiving is the time for my family to come together and celebrate, but when my sister and I heard our friends had never celebrated Thanksgiving we packed all 3 of them into the car and we headed north to Seattle to meet with the rest of the family. The “hype” and overall mood from the car ride up was something so unique. These boys were asking us questions the entire time that we couldn’t help but laugh at. “We eat food and watch football?”,  “What do we do after?” Obviously they had an idea of what Thanksgiving was, but when the food actually hit the table is when my point of view on this holiday changed forever.

When the food was set out and we were all holding hands about to say grace, I took a quick peak right before and the look on their faces was something truly only seen in movies. In that moment, they looked like they were part of the family. I could tell they were very grateful for the food, and were very appreciative of the relations they have made in their short time at Oregon State. Those are memories that we all will never lose. That in my eyes is the meaning of the holiday season.

Spending Thanksgiving with them was a blessing in disguise because this year I plan to have friends who don’t have a place to come be welcomed at, to spend it at my table with my family, regardless if my family knows them or not. My family is a collective loving family and that collectiveness is the same trait we as young adults need to use more of in our everyday life. Bringing the gift of love and togetherness this holiday season should be a priority for everyone, and having a great meal with a bunch of college students can be a fun way of doing that. Making memories with people you may not know down to the core, but enough to agree on the general idea of giving thanks to those around you, is something truly special.

What are your most memorable Thanksgiving moments? Share in the comments below! 

Katherine Borchers is a Junior at Oregon State University and is majoring in Digital Communication Arts. She is involved on campus with Res Life and So Worth Loving at Oregon State. You can find her procrastinating real life responsibilities, drinking coffee, and procrastinating some more. When she procrastinates, she loves to sing loudly (not well, either), read books, and do artsy-fartsy stuff.