The Hottest Nail Trends for Fall 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Many of us start the school year with the goal of looking put together for our classes, but more often than not we resort back to the reliable yoga pants and hoodie ensembles within the first week (because who has time to get ready for an 8am lecture?!). One amazing way to stay looking your best – even without a great outfit – is maintaining your nails. This fall, most of the trends are (thankfully) easy to do yourself at home, so skip the salon and save some coffee money with the top nail trends this season.

Almost Nude

The look: Creamy nudes that are just barely noticeable will, in fact, make your nails POP! This is possibly the simplest (and chicest) nail trend for fall.

Helpful hint: Choose a color that is one or two shades lighter or darker than your natural nail color. Aim for a close match; but not enough so that it completely blends in.

Colors to try: Essie’s Sandy Beach and Sally Hansen’s Almost Almond

Mixing Metallics

The look: It is pretty hard to resist things that sparkle and shine. Now is the time to mix and match different metallic colors for a one of a kind sheen.

Helpful hint: Use a darker metallic gray as a base with silver or gold tips for a twist on a classic manicure.

Colors to try: O.P.I.’s My Private Jet and China Glaze’s Goldie But Goodie

Bold Artwork

The look: Anything that can be imagined belongs on your nails. No matter how simple or outrageous, the infinite possibilities make this the perfect trend for everyone.

Helpful hint: Keep it simple with a few stripes or make a statement with a different design for each nail.

Colors to try: Revlon’s Vixen and Essie’s Stylenomics

Dark Matter

The look: Fall always seems to come and go much too quickly. By sporting inky blues, hunter greens, and deep grays, your nails will pay tribute to the inevitable cold of the approaching winter.

Helpful hint: Choosing a matte polish will help to create an even darker look.

Colors to try: Sally Hansen’s Dark Knight and China Glaze’s Exotic Encounters

Burnt Berries

The look: Linger on the bold colors of summer with deep plums, reds and magentas. These colors are sure to stand out amongst the crisp yellow and orange leaves falling upon the ground.

Helpful hint: Apply two or three coats to make the color even more vibrant.

Colors to try: O.P.I.’s Chick Flick Cherry and Essie’s Size Matters

With these stylish trends, there is no need to worry about finding a great outfit for class. So step back into those sweats, throw your hair up in a messy bun, and flaunt your great new nails!

Riley is a Junior majoring in Merchandising Management at Oregon State University. She is a Disney fanatic, works on-campus between classes, and is the current Vice President of a local sorority; Chi Theta Phi. Outside of involvements at school, you can find her crafting, exploring new music and DJs, or making chocolate chip banana bread.