Fall TV Premiere Dates You Can’t Miss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Back to school doesn’t have to be all bad: it means the return of so many great shows and the arrival of new ones. Whether you’ve been watching since day one, want to check out something new, or recently discovered and binge-watched a show, we’ve got the season premieres you’ve been waiting for.           

1. Bones

Premiere Date: October 1st

Plot Summary: Bones is a crime dramedy series focused on forensic anthropology, the FBI, insane serial killer, and the bonds that unite the crime solving team trying to figure it out. The main cast features, Agent Seely Booth, Camille Saroyan, James Aubrey, Tempereance “Bones” Brennan, Angela Montenegro, Jack Hodgins, and all the rotating interns in the lab. 

Number of Past Seasons: 10 

2. How to Get Away with Murder

Premiere Date: September 24th

Plot Summary: How to Get Away with Murder starts out as a show where college students take an unorthodox criminology class their teacher, Annalise Keating, likes to call “How to Get Away with Murder”. But then, the viewers are given flashbacks of some unlawful acts committed by Annalise and her students. This show has murder, sex, lying, cheating, cover-ups, mystery and so much more. 

Number of Past Seasons: 1

3. Faking It 

Premiere Date: August 31st

Plot Summary: Karma and Amy pretend to be lesbians and then breakup, but the drama that follows is all real. At a high school where the unique is popular, just about anything goes, from protests and raves to food trucks. Friendships are tested, relationships are formed, and identities are explored. 

Number of Past Seasons: 1, 2A

4. Awkward 

Premiere Date: August 31st

Plot Summary: Jenna Hamilton is finally feeling comfortable in her own skin. Season 5 is all about senior year and the future for her and all her friends. She’s gone from social outcast Freshman with an annoying tell-all blog to a popular Senior with nothing to lose and everything to gain. There will be partying, hookups, secrets, prom craziness, beach trips and so much more. 

Number of Past Seasons:

5. American Horror Story

Premiere Date: October 7th

Plot Summary: Your favorite horror show returns with both new and old actors in a different setting: a hotel. Lady Gaga and Matt Bomer are set to be guest stars, along with some other familiar faces. I guess you could say that we’re a little bit excited. 

Number of Past Seasons:

6. Castle 

Premiere Date: September 21st

Plot Summary: This show follows Richard Castle, a novelist, and Kate Beckett, an NYPD homicide detective, as they solve unusual crimes in New York City. Initially, the two hate each other but as time goes on, feelings begin to surface. A little bit of crime and a little bit of romance: the perfect ratio for a study-break worthy show. 

Number of Past Seasons:

7. Bob’s Burgers

Premiere Date: September 27th

Plot Summary: The Belcher family returns to get into more crazy antics, create burger names we never would have thought up, and having fun while running a restaurant. 

Number of Past Seasons: 5

8. The Voice

Premiere Date: September 21st

Plot Summary: Unlike plenty of other singing reality shows, this competition tries to avoid assumptions based on appearance by basing the judges decisions solely off of the contestants voice and talent. The winner receives one-hundred-thousand dollars and a record deal with Universal Music Group after competing. During the competition, they get support from mentors and judges in their specific team.

Number of Past Seasons: 8

9. Modern Family

Premiere Date: September 23rd

Plot Summary: The mockumentary-style show features Jay Pritchett and his extended family members navigating relationships, sibling rivalry, current issues, and what it means to be a modern family.

Number of Past Seasons: 6

10. Grimm

Premiere Date: October 30th

Plot Summary: This drama is set in our very own Portland, Oregon and meshes the world of Brothers Grimm-style monsters together with a procedural cop show. The story follows Homicide Investigator and Grimm, Nick, as he battles creatures alongside his girlfriend Juliette and friends Hank, Monroe, and Rosalee. 

Number of Past Seasons:

New Favorites: 

1. Scream Queens: 

Premiere Date: September 22nd

Plot Summary: This horror-comedy series takes place on a college campus and focuses on the girls in the Kappa Kappa Tau sorority. There are murders being committed by a mysterious red devil character and it is rocking the girls’ world. 

2. Angel from Hell 

Premiere Date: November 6th

Plot Summary: Jamie Lynch stars in this comedy where we don’t quite know if she’s Maggie Lawson’s character’s guardian angel or if she is just crazy enough to think that she is. 

3. Best Time Ever with Neil Patrick Harris

Premiere Date: September 15th

Plot Summary: This live one-hour show is unlike anything else on TV. There will be lots of famous guest stars, stunts, skits, performances, giveaways, pranks and so much more. Every week will be different, but we’re excited to see what NPH does with this almost vaudeville-like show. 

4. Grandfathered

Premiere Date: September 29th 

Plot Summary: Remember when Full House was your go-to show and you would swoon over the young and rebellious John Stamos? Well, this show takes a version of that rebellious character, updates his wardrobe, and forces him to grow up when he not only comes face to face with his son, but also his grandson. 

5. The Last Kingdom 

Premiere Date: October 10th

Plot Summary: In what has been called BBC’s answer to Game of Thrones, The Last Kingdom has been adapted from The Saxon Series books. This show mixes fiction with reality to tell us the story of King Alfred the Great, the birth of England, and the vengeance and drama that comes with it. 

Comment below what shows you’ll be watching this fall! 

Madeline is a Senior at Oregon State majoring in Merchandising Management and minoring in writing. She was the 2016-'17 president of Chi Theta Phi, a local design sorority on campus. If she's not in class, at a club meeting, chapter, or writing, she's probably spending time with her family, friends, walking her dogs, eating junk food, or watching too many crime, comedy, or fashion shows on Netflix. She likes cheese, dogs, creative projects, obnoxious animal prints, garage sales, farmer's markets, and generally just being silly.