Daylight Savings: What You Can Do With An Hour

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Written by Francesca Burch

It’s almost that time of the year again; daylight savings. This could either be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on which daylight savings it is. Fortunately for us, on November 6th we actually go back an hour instead of forward. This means more sleep for all of us busy college students. Hooray!

Besides using this time for sleeping, there are actually a few cool things we can do with this added hour. First, we can use this hour to look extra cute for class. If you’re a girl out there reading this then you know what I mean when I say that it is difficult actually looking your best for a class like biology lecture, or whatever it may be. But, take this extra hour to maybe add some winged eyeliner to your daily makeup routine or even something as simple as a cute scarf to add a pop of color to your outfit.

Something as simple as taking a walk outside is also a great way to spend this hour. This is especially true if you’re one of the lucky ones who also has a pet with you at college. Take your doggy for a walk or if you’re sadly petless like myself, take a roommate or your significant other with you and get some fresh morning air. This is only true if it’s not too cold outside because we all know Oregon weather can be pretty unpredictable!

Another thing you can do with this extra hour is treat yourself to some good breakfast. I know I’m not the only one who is always in a hurry to get out the door so making breakfast doesn’t always happen. Daylight savings this Sunday will be a blessing because now it gives us time to make some yummy Pillsbury cinnamon rolls or even a nice breakfast sandwich. And if you don’t want to use that time cooking, no one will judge you for driving to 9th street Dutch Bros. before class and ordering an iced kicker. We’ve all been there.

How are you going to spend your hour? Let us know in the comments! 

Katherine Borchers is a Junior at Oregon State University and is majoring in Digital Communication Arts. She is involved on campus with Res Life and So Worth Loving at Oregon State. You can find her procrastinating real life responsibilities, drinking coffee, and procrastinating some more. When she procrastinates, she loves to sing loudly (not well, either), read books, and do artsy-fartsy stuff.