Celebrating Día de los Muertos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Dia de los Muertos is a festival that celebrates and honors those in our lives who have passed. People are encouraged to bring candles, food, or something that reminds them of their loved ones to community altars. Traditional dishes like pan de muertos, arroz con leche, and marranitos are made, and the holiday is celebrated on November 1st and November 2nd. It is believed that on the first day the spirits of children are released from heaven and allowed to reunite with their families for 24 hours and the spirits of adults are released on the second day. Traditions like special masses and sugar skull painting are also common. Oregon State University celebrated the holiday on November 2nd at the Centro Cultural Cesar Chavez by serving traditional dishes, providing sugar skulls to be painted, showcasing Aztec dancers, and presenting on the traditions of the holiday.

Madeline is a Senior at Oregon State majoring in Merchandising Management and minoring in writing. She was the 2016-'17 president of Chi Theta Phi, a local design sorority on campus. If she's not in class, at a club meeting, chapter, or writing, she's probably spending time with her family, friends, walking her dogs, eating junk food, or watching too many crime, comedy, or fashion shows on Netflix. She likes cheese, dogs, creative projects, obnoxious animal prints, garage sales, farmer's markets, and generally just being silly.