Campus Cutie: Alexander Vickery-Holland

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Name: Alexander J. Vickery-Holland

Hometown: Salem, Oregon

Year in School: Senior

Major: History and Spanish

Relationship Status: Single

This week’s Campus Cutie is the charming and talented Alex! Get to know him more below:

HC at Oregon State: What made you want to come to OSU?

Alex: My family has always been Oregon State supporters, and my older brother graduated from here when I was about ten. I really do love the small town feel of Corvallis, it reminds me of my part of town from back home. Not to mention the brick buildings literally everywhere on campus, they remind me of an old-fashioned, traditional, university – which I think is awesome.

HC at Oregon State: What’s your favorite part about Oregon State?

Alex: My favorite thing about Oregon State is the inclusivity and potential for student involvement; coming here as a freshman, I was more than scared of everything going on. It wasn’t long before I had found my own group of people with whom I could share my college experience – whether that be friends in the residence halls, my fraternity (Phi Kappa Psi), or coworkers, I have had nothing but positive experiences living, learning, and working with people here at OSU.

HC at Oregon State: Do you have any artists who influence you?

Alex: Cheesy as it may be, I love Vincent Van Gogh… Starry Night is my mother’s favorite painting, and over the years, I have learned to love the rest of his work as wekk. As far as contemporary artists go, I’m a big fan of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

HC at Oregon State: Tell us about the best (or worst) date you’ve been on.

Alex: I’d have to say going to La Hacienda Real (think El Sol de Mexico) and asking my then-girlfriend to prom my senior year. Super cute, roses and everything.

HC at Oregon State: If you could have any power, what power would you have and why?

Alex: I’ve always wanted to fly. I wanted to be a pilot when I was a little kid, but since I got my first pair of glasses at age 12, those dreams were dashed. 

HC at Oregon State: Who is the first person you think of when you think of the word “happy?

Alex: My best friend from back home, Emily. 

HC at Oregon State: Which one of your friends do you think of when hearing the word “bromance?

Alex: Carter, ne of my little brothers in Phi Psi, and I have the stereotypical ‘bromantic’ relationship. Judge me if you will, but he’s definitely one of my best friends.

HC at Oregon State: If you could have the most powerful position in the world, which position do you think it would be?

Alex: I think that in reality, the most powerful position in the world is one in which I can help other people on a personal level. For a long time, I was studying to be a teacher, but now I have shifted my focus towards student affairs. Because of that, I’d have to say that working as an academic advisor (or something along those lines) would be the most powerful for me.

Say hello to this cutie if you see him around campus, and stay tuned for next week’s Campus Cutie!

Erica is a member of Class of 2016 at Oregon State University. She is a Political Science major with a politics, law and society option. But has a secret passion for Women, Gender & Sexuality Studies. A Gresham, Oregon native, Erica has worked in her campus student governments for almost 3 years now, interned for Oregon Student Association, Holds officer positions in all three ranks of the College of Democrats (Campus, Statewide, and Nationwide Chapters). Was elected in May 2014 to hold precinct committeeperson for her county. Erica is a member of the Feminist Majority at OSU. She loves Cats, International Relations, Being a Mental Health Advocate, spending time with friends and family. She wants to work within non-profits and become Secretary of State when she grows up.