Campus Celebrity: Serena Tucker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Name: Serena Tucker

Hometown: Beaverton, OR

Year in school: Junior

Major: Merchandising Management

Meet this week’s Campus Celebrity, Serena! Junior year can be tough, but she balances work and play well. When she’s not busy attending class or meetings, she likes to cuddle with her cat Janelle. Here’s more about Serena!

HC at Oregon State: What are you involved with on campus?

Serena: I am apart of Chi Theta Phi where I am the Design and Education Chair, and am the Interior Design Editor of DAMchic Magazine.

HC at Oregon State: Why did you decide to join DAMchic Magazine?

Serena: I knew a lot of people involved in it from my design classes, and my friend told me they were hiring so I applied. I was given the opportunity to be an online Style Editor, but then the EIC contacted me about being the Interior Design Editor. I didn’t really know what that entailed but I was up for the challenge and wanted to be more involved so I agreed to be the Interior Design Editor.

HC at Oregon State: What has been your favorite part of being the Interior Design Editor?

Serena: I don’t have a favorite part of being the Interior Design Editor. I love every single thing that I do for the magazine, which includes finding the furniture, setting up the photo shoot, and helping with the layout of the spread. I think that the most fun part is pitching your ideas for the next theme. I love the creativity that DAMchic brings out of me and everyone involved.

HC at Oregon State: Do you have any advice for anyone looking to join DAMchic and/or your position in particular?

Serena: Well, we are hiring week 5! Even if you aren’t a design major and just enjoy fashion I encourage you to join! It gives you great experience in magazine publications and is so much fun. One piece of advice is that you really need to commit if you want to join, don’t join and then quit.

HC at Oregon State: Whats next for DAMchic?

Serena: DAMchic has definitely evolved since the first issue. I can’t really predict what’s next for us because it’s an ever changing process. But you should expect to see even more creativity with themes and spreads within the magazine, and I hope that we get a larger reader base on campus and off.

HC at Oregon State: What are your plans for after graduation?

Serena: I don’t really know what my plans are. I’m hoping to go back to Beaverton for a little for a job in publishing or home décor retailing. I have so many passions in life that I don’t know where I’ll end up. Hopefully I get to travel around the world, whether if it is for a couple of weeks or to move for a job.

If you would like to learn more about DAMchic Magazine or Chi Theta Phi sorority, check out their Facebook pages for more information on how to get involved.

Megan is an Oregon State University Alum with a degree in Merchandising Management. During her four years at OSU she helped found Chi Theta Phi, a local sorority with a focus on the design majors, where she held the ritual chair position her senior year. In addition to the sorority, she was the event coordinator for DAMchic magazine, the fashion publication at Oregon State, and has also been involved in costuming two plays for the OSU theatre. Megan enjoys binge watching tv shows on Netflix, doing arts and crafts, online shopping and catching up on sleep. She is obsessed with giraffes, mojitos, the color pink, reading, Halloween, purses, Las Vegas, singing in the shower, pop culture, gel nail polish, Mindy Kaling, the 90's, hedgehogs, quoting movies, trivia, candles, and live music, specifically the Backstreet Boys. This isn't goodbye, it's just see you later.