Campus Celebrity: Samantha Lopez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Name: Samantha Lopez

Hometown: Los Angeles, technically, but I moved to Corvallis when I was eleven. This has always felt more like home!

Year in school: Senior

Major: New Media Communications with a minor in writing.

HC at Oregon State: What all are you involved with on campus?

Samantha: I’ve been a DJ for KBVR FM since I transferred to OSU in 2013. I have a weekly radio show called ‘The Painfully Indie Hour’ that is exactly what it sounds like! Music is the most important thing in my life EVER.  I’m a genre director for the radio station as well, which means I research music, review albums, and make playlists! I’m also a writer for Beaver’s Digest–OSU’s magazine, and of course, the Facebook manager and a contributing writer for Her Campus at Oregon State!

HC at Oregon State: What’s your favorite part of the NMC program?

Samantha: Oh, goodness. It has to honestly be that I’m surrounded by people who get just as excited about the stuff I get excited about. Whether that’s music, books, films, celebrities, fashion–all things pop culture–and new social media sites–or the amazing instructors and professors I’ve met who have helped shape and understand my interests. I started out as an English major, but wasn’t happy. I had no idea there was a major that would let me explore my love for sitcoms and generational trends!

HC at Oregon State: What has been your favorite college moment thus far?

Samantha: There have been so many! I grew up in this town, but I really didn’t meet such amazing friends until OSU, so it has to be all the countless memories I’ve made with my now best friends. From late-night drives, to Halloweekends, to football games, to our 21ers–all of it!

HC at Oregon State: Any advice for others as for what to expect during senior year?

Samantha: Expect a lot of existential crises, calls to your mom, and fear of the uncertainty. However, just remember that a new chapter of your life is right around the corner, and, as scary as not knowing exactly where you’ll be or what you’ll be doing may seem, it’s also kinda exciting. These next years are all about taking what you learned in college–socially and academically–and utilizing them to figure out who you really are. It’s so exciting!

HC at Oregon State: What are you planning on doing after graduation?

Samantha: Haha, well, see above. I’m not sure where I’ll be right after graduation, but my  “dream” is to write for the rest of my life. I want to write films, write for music journals, write about pop culture, write a memoir. I just know I have things to say, and I want to say them. Ultimately though? I just wanna live a life I’m happy about–filled with great people, great memories, and of course, great music. :)

Give it up for Sam, and check back next week for another amazing Campus Celebrity!

Lara is a graduate of Oregon State University, with a degree in New Media Communications and minors in writing and Spanish. Currently, Lara resides in New York City and works in the Influencer Marketing space.