brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Celebrity: Jennifer Kim

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Name: Jennifer Kim

Hometown: Mililani, Hawaii

Major/Minor: Bio Health Sciences Pre-PA, Psychology Minor

Year: Senior

This week’s Campus Celebrity is the amazingly talented Insatgram Celeb Jennifer Kim of @kimcheeeesoup!

HC at Oregon State: What made you want to start doing flat lays of your clothing on Instagram? (If you don’t know what this means already, the definition can be found here.) Do you have any tips for fashionistas on campus who want to try photographing their outfits like you do?

Jen: I’ve been following certain fashion accounts for a long time and I always thought it was a really cool way to express yourself. Last year, during Spring/Summer term, I went back and forth with myself, trying to decide if it was something that I wanted to pursue. Then at the end of Summer I finally made my account! Advice I would give to other fashionistas would be to be yourself and enjoy it! Though it’s been stressful at times, I’ve enjoyed my whole journey that I’ve had with my Instagram account. It’s kind of like my own little world, and since I don’t tell much people about it, it’s a place where I can just be myself.

HC at Oregon State: Are you surprised by how many followers you have on Instagram? (Her follower count is currently at 52.1K and growing) Why do you think your account has been so successful?

Jen: Of course! When I first started my account I never could have imagined what it would have grown into. It’s crazy to think how far I’ve grown in the year that I’ve been doing this. I was honestly happy when I got 10 followers, who weren’t my friends and family. The reason I think that my account has been so successful is because I’ve catered my content to what people like. In the beginning I modeled my outfits, but then I realized that flat lays were a lot easier to create and I was then able to upload on a regular basis. Now I do hang-ups, which is where I use thumbtacks to hang outfits on my wall. I get a lot more attention with it and I like the challenge that comes with trying to hang it up in an appealing way. But my landlord may be slightly concerned with how many holes I have in my wall. LOL.

HC at Oregon State: Do you have any other Instagram accounts that you follow currently and love?

Jen: Some Instagram accounts that I currently follow and love are: @secretlifeofaggie, @priscillax103, and @elorabee. I also really like following shops that I love, this way I am able to keep up with their new arrivals and sales! Two of my faves are: @ootdfash and @iloveshowpo.

HC at Oregon State: What has been your favorite post that you’ve made?

Jen: I don’t have a particular favorite post, but I love love love to post what I call my ‘collection post.” It’s basically taking a picture of my whole collection of flannels or T-shirt dresses or halter-tops or cardigans.

HC at Oregon State: What stores do you typically shop at? Are there any local stores that you would recommend for Corvallis newbies?

Jen: I typically shop at Brandy Melville, PacSun, and Forever 21. Through my Instagram account I’ve had the opportunity to collaborate with different big and small companies/businesses like Forever 21, Deb Shops, Shop Civilized, Stelly Clothing, Fashion Nova, Triangl, and more. As for the Corvallis area, My Campus Closet has a lot of the same items that you may see on my feed, as well as the same things that I’ve been seeing all over my Instagram feed from other shops. They also have a rad collection of vintage flannels, which are my all-time fave!

HC at Oregon State: Are there any other ways you are involved on campus and do you have a job currently? What is your biggest tip for students trying to balance their hobbies, working, and school activities?

Jen: Currently I am part of a multicultural sorority. I am also a member of Hui O Hawaii, and APASU. I consider my Instagram account as my job, since it takes up a lot of my time and I get paid in clothing. My biggest tip for students trying to balance their hobbies and everyday life would be to set priorities and make a schedule for yourself. I usually like to plan out my week, making time for school, homework, midterms, and meetings/events. Then with the gaps in my schedule I utilize that period to dedicate my time to taking pictures for the week. We’re all here to get an education, but it’s important that you don’t lose yourself along the way.

Check out Jennifer’s Instagram here. If you see her in one of your classes be sure to say hi and compliment her latest OOTD!

Madeline is a Senior at Oregon State majoring in Merchandising Management and minoring in writing. She was the 2016-'17 president of Chi Theta Phi, a local design sorority on campus. If she's not in class, at a club meeting, chapter, or writing, she's probably spending time with her family, friends, walking her dogs, eating junk food, or watching too many crime, comedy, or fashion shows on Netflix. She likes cheese, dogs, creative projects, obnoxious animal prints, garage sales, farmer's markets, and generally just being silly.