Campus Celebrity: Jeff Lulay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Name: Jeff Lulay

Hometown: Wilsonville, Oregon 

Year in School: Junior

Twitter Handle: @jlulay36

Major: Business and Marketing

Minor: Communications

This week’s Campus Celebrity is none other than BeaverDam President Jeff Lulay! Read more to find out what makes Oregon State such a special place for him.

HC Oregon State: Why are you interested in business?

Jeff: I’m interested in business because it’s something I was exposed to at a young age. When I was in grade school, I would spend a fair amount of time with my mom at her work. I was able to see the ins and outs of a big company and it really interested me. That interest has grown a lot over the years, and has gone from an interest to a profession.

HC Oregon State: What clubs and organizations are you involved with?

Jeff: When I’m not in class, working or studying, I spend my time with the BeaverDam. The BeaverDam is the student section here at Oregon State and is also the fastest growing club on campus. The purpose of this club is to create a loud, fun, and memorable atmosphere at athletics events on campus. I highly recommend taking a look at ways you can be involved in the BeaverDam, as it’s a fun way to stay connected with Oregon State. Also, if you see me on campus, feel free to ask me about it! Another organization I’m currently working with is Steady Budget. It is a startup business that I was asked to join by one of my friends here at OSU. Steady Budget is an online budget tracking app for internet advertisements. Feel free to check it out! 

HC Oregon State: How did you become the president of the BeaverDam?

Jeff: When I came to OSU, I had already had my mind set on being involved with the beaver student section. I love working with sports and enjoy bringing large groups of people together and providing a fun environment for everyone. However, when I started looking for ways to be involved, I was told that our student section “BeaverDam” had not been active for several years. I was extremely upset and wanted to make a push to get this club up and running again. I was able to get in touch with the athletic department and explain to them my drive to get this club back up and going. Because I was passionate and dedicated to getting the BeaverDam up and running, the athletic department gave me the title as ‘BeaverDam President’ spring term of my freshman year. I had a goal coming in to college to become involved with the student section, but little did I know I was going to be the president of it two terms later. 

HC Oregon State: I heard you are an intern for the athletic department. What’s the best part about it?

Jeff: I would say my favorite part about being intern for the athletic department is being down on the field for the football games. I enjoy being really close to the action and love being able to look around and see Beaver Nation in Reser Stadium. 

HC Oregon State: What is your favorite place in Corvallis?

Jeff: Man oh man, I’m not sure if I have a favorite place in Corvallis yet. I do, however, like to just walk around Corvallis and talk to the people that live here and look at the scenery. I like seeing the old houses and all the black and orange that fills the streets. I’ve walked from 35th down to 12th, from Monroe to Grant, and everywhere in between. I’m not sure what it is but I don’t just like one single place of Corvallis, I like every aspect of it. 

HC Oregon State: What do you hope to do with your degree from OSU?

Jeff: After I receive my degree from Oregon State, I hope to make this university proud by becoming a successful alumnus. I would love to find a job within Oregon State athletics and continue my amazing adventure here in Corvallis. If not here in Oregon, I would like to continue working in athletics for a professional sports team.

HC Oregon State: What do you like to do in your spare time?

Jeff: Being a Junior, and already having two years of college fly by in no time, my spare time is now spent making memories. Whether it be with my roommates on a Sunday morning cooking food together or playing intramural football with friend, I’m all about enjoying the now and making these last few years count. I have had some amazing times here at OSU and want to continue having more. 

HC Oregon State: Why do you love OSU?

Jeff: Oregon State University has a special place in my heart. Not just because it’s where I go to schoo,l but it’s because it’s played a huge roll in my success as a young adult. I love OSU because they want to see their students succeed and accomplish great things. This environment of wanting the students to do well is all throughout campus. From administrative staff, to professors, to teacher’s assistants, to coaches, the list goes on and on. Now, that’s not to say that everyone around here is perfect. I understand students and professors don’t always see eye to eye, for example. But when you take a step back and evaluate your time here at Oregon State, it’s a very rewarding experience. Being a part of Beaver Nation has provided me with a large network of extraordinary people, experiences that have allowed me to grow into a young adult, and also memories that I will never forget. Thank you, Oregon State, I’m looking forward to the last few years I have here. GO BEAVS!

Say hi to Jeff if you seem him cheering on the Beavers this fall, and be sure to check back next week to meet another amazing Campus Celebrity!

I am currently in my 3rd year at Oregon State and majoring in merchandising management. I am an intern for Beaver Athletics, a part-time student archive worker at the library. I am involved in many organizations including HerCampus, DAMchic magazine, Chi Theta Phi, and Relay for Life.