Book Review: “The Woman I Wanted to Be” by Diane Von Furstenberg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Diane Von Furstenberg’s brand was one that I didn’t know a whole lot about. When House of DVF aired on E! showing Diane inspiring women and searching for her next big brand ambassador, my interest was sparked.

As a college senior who is about to pursue a full-time career in the fashion industry, I wanted to see what this show was about. Typically the show features drama between competitors, but the thing that sparked my interest was DVF’s influence on the girls and the advice she would give to them. She would watch them and help guide their projects and assignments, and each week she narrowed down the competition. Instead of just sending girls home she would have discussions with them and give them advice for their careers and futures. I found it to be refreshing and nice that she would really help them, and she even gave some girls positions in other divisions of her company. After watching her show I became curious to learn more about her story.

Von Furstenberg’s memoir, The Woman I Wanted To Be, was released in late 2014 and is a book about her childhood, love life and business pursuits. The book goes into great detail about how DVF came to be and all of the things that had inspired her along the way. The book discusses her family history and how her mother’s containment in a concentration camp had a lasting effect on her future. It also discusses her marriage with Egon Von Furstenberg, who made Diane a princess and gave her the name she is known for today.

In addition, she talks about her kids and grandkids and how they inspire her every day. There is also a lot of discussion about her business endeavors and all the things she had experienced while working in New York and making a name for herself. The book is an amazing recap on everything Von Furstenberg has experienced in her life, and it is interesting to read about all the events that made her who she is today.

One of the most interesting parts of the book was when Von Furstenberg discussed her brand and the creation of the Wrap dress. She tells readers about how she franchised her brand and decided to sell it off, and then her decision to rebrand her name and the wrap dress. It was interesting to read about this side because she really goes into depth on how the industry works and the steps she took to get there and make a huge comeback

I would highly recommend this book to anybody who wants to learn more about DVF, her brand or the fashion industry in general. It was an easy read and really allowed me to better understand the woman behind the brand and the influence she has had on so many people.

I am currently in my 3rd year at Oregon State and majoring in merchandising management. I am an intern for Beaver Athletics, a part-time student archive worker at the library. I am involved in many organizations including HerCampus, DAMchic magazine, Chi Theta Phi, and Relay for Life.