The Best Places to Eat, Shop and Hang Out in Downtown Corvallis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Flat Tail Brewing (201 SW. 1st Street)

Flat Tail is a restaurant that screams Corvallis. It is decorated with Oregon State jerseys, signed autographs and pictures from Beaver athletics over the years. They serve amazing burgers, sandwiches and appetizers, and they have a large selection of microbrews (including their own). This restaurant is one of the best places to eat downtown, whether it’s just for a quick lunch or if somebody you know is coming from out of town and wants to see what Corvallis is all about. Most importantly – don’t forget to try the frickles.

Second Glance (312 SW. 3rd Street)

The trio of Second Glance stores are some of the best shopping places downtown. Second Glance, The Annex and The Alley have something for everyone, and each store has a different type of product. If you are looking for classic designer pieces your best bet is the main shop, but if you are looking for more trendy clothing items then The Annex is the place to go. Guys will have the most luck at The Alley. Second Glance is a consignment store that sells items that are 2 years old or newer that are in perfect condition. Whether you are looking to consign your own clothing or just shop for new-to-you pieces, this should be your first destination.

The Waterfront (Along 1st Street)

The waterfront is one of the best places to hang out in Downtown Corvallis. While there you can take in all of the beautiful scenery and just walk along the waterfront. In the summer when it is warmer people float the river on inner tubes. The waterfront is a nice spot if you are wanting to just relax and maybe sit on a park bench, but make sure to check the weather forecast before planning a day there, especially in the winter months.

Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse and Sushi Bar (250 SW. 3rd Street)

If you’re looking for affordable and high quality sushi then look no further. Tokyo Steakhouse serves sushi rolls, Teppanyaki, soups, salads and much more. This is a great date night restaurant, or if you just want to relax and enjoy sushi at home with a movie you can order some to go!

Many Hands Trading (259 SW Madison Avenue)

Many Hands Trading is a retail store located on 3rd and Madison in the heart of downtown Corvallis. They sell a large variety of products including anything from mugs to henna to fair trade jewelry. This store has a lot of unique pieces, and a lot of them are imported from places all around the world. They also have a smaller location located in the Memorial Union on campus. I would highly recommend going to this store when you are in the mood to shop and want to find something new. It is also a great place to find gifts for friends! They truly have something for everyone.

BrewBQ (150 Southwest Madison Avenue)

The first place I ever ate when I first visited Corvallis three years ago was BrewBQ, and I have never forgotten it. They are located on 1st and Madison, directly to the west of Flat Tail. This restaurant is obviously known for their BBQ food and also their sauces. At each table there is a selection of 6 different sauces to put on your meal. Some of these are year-round and others change seasonally. BrewBQ has a very relaxed environment and is a great place to go when you just don’t feel like cooking and want something fast and easy but is a much better quality than a fast food restaurant. Fear not, plant lovers – BrewBQ also offers vegetarian options such as tofu skewers, which taste great with the added sauces!

Great new shops and restaurants are being added to Corvallis all the time, so stay tuned for our features on the newer additions to our beloved city as the term progresses!

What’s your favorite spot in the city? Let us know in the comments below!

I am currently in my 3rd year at Oregon State and majoring in merchandising management. I am an intern for Beaver Athletics, a part-time student archive worker at the library. I am involved in many organizations including HerCampus, DAMchic magazine, Chi Theta Phi, and Relay for Life.