6 Campus Resources You Probably Don’t Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Okay, let’s be honest. We all remember learning about the abundance of resources on campus during our orientation and being handed flyer after flyer about sports clubs, art classes, and 3-D printers — all at our immediate disposal. But how many of them have you actually used during your time as a student? Here are a few things you’ve been missing out on!

1. Bike/Rental shop

The bike shop in Dixon is my new favorite place! I recently got a bike through the mail, and it came in what felt like a hundred pieces that I had no idea what to do with. Originally, it was going to cost me $130 to have them put it together, but if I went there and let them help me through the process, it would be free! I learned a lot about my bike and now feel totally comfortable using the tools they have.

2. Alternate Libraries

OSU has an amazing organization of Cultural Resource Centers on campus. These include the Women’s Center, the Pride Center, the Lonnie B. Harris Black Cultural Center, the Asian & Pacific Center, Centro Cultural Cesar Chavez Center, the Native American Longhouse, and the Ettihad Cultural Center. Head over to any one of these places for good conversation, game nights, and to learn about different cultural backgrounds! Trying to write that paper and don’t want to search through the Valley Library, or just looking for a good informative book? Each center has its own library, and you will definitely be able to find help there!

3. Mind Spa

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) has this room they named the Mind Spa that I swear is the most relaxing place on campus. In addition to a massage chair and guided meditation tapes, you can hook yourself up to a computer that reads your heart rate. I recently spent time there and got stuck on this game called “The Breathing Tree.” If you matched your breathing with that of a tree (because trees can visibly breathe in this game), a staircase would appear that lead to the top of a mountain. It might sound kind of odd, but it totally helped me get a good rhythm and de-stressed me for the rest of the day.

4. Academic Success Center

When we get to college, we’re expected to figure out how we learn best and how to fix those bad habits. But sometimes we get in a funk come midterms week and we need inspirational study tips. The Academic Success Center, located in Waldo Hall, is there to help you step back and focus on you and your learning processes!

5. Resume workshops

Drop in to the Career Services Center to have them help you review your resume! Their website has extensive guidelines to help you revise it on your own, but if you are aiming for a specific job or employer, they’ll help you tailor it specifically to that industry’s expectations! 

6. Art classses

OSU has an extraordinary craft center that offers classes to anyone in the community starting at $18. You can learn how to make glass jewelry, build a guitar, weave a scarf, and even use Adobe Lightroom. All you have to do is attend an orientation at the beginning of the term, get a membership, and you’re good to go!

Have any other useful resources in mind? Let us know in the comments!

Lara is a graduate of Oregon State University, with a degree in New Media Communications and minors in writing and Spanish. Currently, Lara resides in New York City and works in the Influencer Marketing space.