5 Tips for Slaying Formal Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

In only a few weeks formal recruitment will start! While it can be an exciting time for many girls, many feel nervous and anxious to go through the process. Here are a few tips to help you girls get ready for recruitment!   

1. Be outgoing

The girls that you’re going to be meeting want you to show them who you are! Don’t be afraid to talk about things that you’re interested in. While recruitment is important for each sorority, it’s also important that you’re figuring out which people and houses you blend well together with! Ask questions and try to step out of your box!

2. Wear something comfortable

Yeah, those 6 inch stilettoes look really good in the store, but you actually have to be able to walk in them. Especially in the first few rounds when you’re visiting nearly all the houses, you’re going to want something a little more comfortable!

3. Don’t get discouraged

Recruitment is supposed to be fun, but it’s easy to get caught up with everything and the stress about being in the house you initially want. Be sure to keep an open mind! Even if one of the houses you liked drops you, it is not the end of the world. There are so many girls in each of these houses; it’s not fair if you’re only giving a few of them a chance.

4. There are other options other than formal recruitment

While movies and television shows only look at formal recruitment there are other ways you can join. If houses don’t reach their quota of girls they will usually participate in Continuous Open Bidding, which is far less formal! If you decide to not rush or drop during fall recruitment look into COB. Just because it didn’t work out exactly how you wanted doesn’t mean you shouldn’t give it another chance!

5. Don’t buy into the “top tier” and “bottom tier” idea

Honestly, I think this is the most frustrating thing about recruitment and greek life in general. People love to have a hierocracy in any type of system, but if you go into recruitment with the mindset that a certain house is “bottom tier” then you might as well not go at all. Everyone went through high school, so you all know how popularity worked there — don’t let it cloud your judgment when you’re making such a big decision!

A little sorority vocabulary lesson:

Big/Little– When you’re a new member you will get a big sister that is your mentor. Big/little reveal week is one of the best weeks both as a new member and as a big! You either get spoiled or you get to do the spoiling!

Letters of Recommendation– You don’t need letters at Oregon State but they definitely don’t hurt your chances. Before you go through recruitment, if you know an alumni (usually a teacher, boss, friends of your parents, someone you go to church with, etc.) of a sorority she can fill out a form that recommends you to the chapter, but she has to be an alumnae of the sorority you’re sending the letter to!  Letters of Recommendation can be difficult to grasp, if you want more information click this link!

New Member– Someone that has accepted a bid from a sorority but is not an active member yet. You will be an active member once you go through initiation.

Legacy– Each sorority is different for who they accept as a legacy, but it is usually someone who is a daughter, sister, or grand daughter of an initiated member.

National Panhellenic Conference (NPC)- The umbrella body of for 26 national women’s fraternities and sororities.

Chapter– Once you’re an initiated member, each sorority will have a weekly meeting with all of their active members going over business for the house and events.

Pin Attire– When you join a sorority they will use the term “pin attire” to describe the type of clothing you will be wearing. Sororities have different standards for their pin attire but usually it is nice clothing that you would wear for a business occasion, such as dresses, skirts, khakis, and flats or heels.

Most of all, be sure to have fun during recruitment! It’s all about being yourself and finding out where you fit in with the numerous Greek life options on campus. Be sure to check out our Sorority Cheat Sheet for more help on debunking the recrutiment process!

Volleyball player and English major at Oregon State!