5 Tips for Living With Multiple Roommates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

It’s not uncommon to share a house or apartment with at least one other person during college to cut costs as much as possible. Sometimes you might even share your living space with three or four other people as well. It could get tricky figuring out a balance between school and your social life, but also keeping your home a civil and healthy environment. Here are five tips to keep in mind while making living arrangements.

1. Pick roommates with similar interests as you

Your roommates don’t have to be your best friends, but it is helpful for them to share similar interests with you. Being able to make simple conversation while in passing about that show you both love or a club on campus you both share an interest in can help unite you as roommates and not feel like strangers in your own home.

2. Don’t let conflicts progress

Arguments and disagreements are bound to happen. Keep cool and have a roommate meeting before things get out of hand. You can discuss all of the issues at hand and make sure you can resolve them., since no one likes to be uncomfortable and have bad vibes flowing through the house. The best thing for everyone is to settle disputes as fast as you can. Be sure to listen as much as you speak!

3. Learn to share

Before moving into a place, you should definitely discuss the mutual household necessities like cleaning supplies, dishes and silverware, and chores. If you are sharing a television or a washer and dryer, you should also discuss when people want to watch a certain show or what days work best for them to do their laundry. Compromising can take you a long way and avoid unhappy roommates. 

4. Participate in chores equally

The garbage truck only comes by once once a week, so if no one takes it out you are out of luck. Making a schedule of who takes it out each week will assure equality and that it doesn’t accumulate and smell. Dishes are another big activity that could result in annoyed roommates. Do your dishes in a timely manner, and if you can’t, make sure to let everyone know that you are aware of the mess and will take care of it as soon as possible. Your roommates should be reasonable enough to understand that college life gets very busy.

5. Make time to hang out

Even if you and your roommates aren’t super close, getting together to watch a movie or going out for frozen yogurt every once in a while gives you the chance to catch up on each other’s lives. The bonding time is not only a good break from studying, but it also gives everyone a sense of community. College is exhausting and sometimes scary, but having roommates that understand what you are going through and that can go through it with you can make this whole experience easier.

If you have any other tips from your own experience on living with multiple roommates, let us know and leave a comment below!

Megan is an Oregon State University Alum with a degree in Merchandising Management. During her four years at OSU she helped found Chi Theta Phi, a local sorority with a focus on the design majors, where she held the ritual chair position her senior year. In addition to the sorority, she was the event coordinator for DAMchic magazine, the fashion publication at Oregon State, and has also been involved in costuming two plays for the OSU theatre. Megan enjoys binge watching tv shows on Netflix, doing arts and crafts, online shopping and catching up on sleep. She is obsessed with giraffes, mojitos, the color pink, reading, Halloween, purses, Las Vegas, singing in the shower, pop culture, gel nail polish, Mindy Kaling, the 90's, hedgehogs, quoting movies, trivia, candles, and live music, specifically the Backstreet Boys. This isn't goodbye, it's just see you later.