5 Music Albums to Check Out Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

One of the best ways to de-stress while working on homework or cleaning your bedroom is listening to music, so why not listen to some songs that you can enjoy no matter what you’re going through? Check out our top five album recommendations that you should check out right now!

Sam Smith: In the Lonely Hour  

Sam Smith is a British musician whose latest album is all about heartbreak and love. Smith, who is one of the newest up-and-coming artists of 2014, recently released In the Lonely Hour as is his debut album and it has been at the top of the iTunes charts for weeks. His hit single “Stay With Me” has been on the top charts for 30 weeks now. The song was #2 in the U.S. at its peak spot, and it has been #1 in many other countries across the globe. In the Lonely Hour is incredible because of its powerful lyrics and Smith’s impressive vocal range.

Arctic Monkeys: AM

AM is the Artic Monkeys 5th album, and while it was released in 2013 it is still one of the most popular albums of 2014. Their hit single “Do I Wanna Know?” was released in July of 2013, and it is still being played often. This album is of the rock genre, but it is so different from any of their other albums. This album includes new instruments that they haven’t used before that helped create a new type of feel to their music. AM is currently still sitting comfortably at #11 on the top Album charts for the U.S..

Taylor Swift: 1989

This album is definitely not Taylor Swift’s first, but it is her first-ever entirely pop album. Everyone saw her transition from country to pop happening years ago, but now it is real and she is better than ever. In its first week it had sold over 5.8 million copies – and the last time an artist went platinum in less than a week was in 2002. This album is creating a lot of buzz, and it’s for all the right reasons as 1989 is more about Swift discovering herself and her growing up than any of her prior work.

Ed Sheeran: X

For this album Ed Sheeran went with a completely different sound from his last one. This album features more of a pop vibe while his older hit songs were often ballads. Sheeran collaborated with Pharrell Williams on this album, and that could definitely explain the more preppy sound. The most popular songs on X were “Sing” and “Don’t.” This album gave him a wider audience and allowed him to dip more into different genres.

Miranda Lambert: Platinum

Finally, we have Miranda Lambert’s album Platinum. Just last week Miranda dominated the Country Music Awards by winning Album of the Year, Single of the Year for “Automatic,” and Female Vocalist of the year. Platinum is Lambert’s 5th studio album and focuses a lot on her Oklahoma roots. Lambert is best known for her ultra-relatable lyrics, and this album features many tracks of that. One of the top songs on this album is “Automatic” – her chart-topping single that talks about how life was way different before instant gratification.  

No matter what style of music you like best, there is nothing to lose by branching out and testing out some new sounds! You never know when you’ll discover your nest favorite artist.

I am currently in my 3rd year at Oregon State and majoring in merchandising management. I am an intern for Beaver Athletics, a part-time student archive worker at the library. I am involved in many organizations including HerCampus, DAMchic magazine, Chi Theta Phi, and Relay for Life.